I’m sure as a runner, you’ve also experienced the pain and discomfort post-run! When I began experiencing some cramps at the end of my run, someone recommended I get a massage. So I decided to invest in the best foot and calf massager instead of having to go to a spa to save up!
Believe me, it was the best investment I made as a runner, besides running shoes of course. But with the many types of massagers, which one is best?
I’ll be reviewing the top ten best foot and calf massagers and a helpful buying guide to help you select the right one!
- 1 10 Best Foot and Calf Massagers 2020
- 1.1 1. The Heating and Comfortable: uKnead Leg Massager
- 1.2 2. The Advanced and Healthy: Cloud Massage Foot Massage Machine
- 1.3 3. The Compact and Customizable: TRIDUCNA Shiatsu Foot Massager
- 1.4 4. The Simple and Good Compression: Tespo Shiatsu Foot Massager
- 1.5 5. The Affordable and Smooth Performance: FIT KING Leg Air Massager
- 1.6 6. The Snug and Well-Circulating: Tespo Leg Massager
- 1.7 7. The Advanced Technology: Naipo Foot and Calf Massager
- 1.8 8. The Relieving and Easy-to-Use: Human Touch Reflex SOL Foot and Calf Shiatsu Massager
- 1.9 9. The Patented Technology and Stimulating: Human Touch Reflex4 Foot and Calf Shiatsu Massager
- 1.10 10. The Efficient and Different Modes: Giantex Shiatsu Foot and Calf Massager
- 2 Benefits of Using a Foot and Calf Massager
- 3 How to Choose the Best Foot and Calf Massager
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions: Best Foot and Calf Massager
- 5 Wrapping It Up
10 Best Foot and Calf Massagers 2020
Based on research, tests, and overall reviews, here are the ten best foot and calf massagers available now:
1. The Heating and Comfortable: uKnead Leg Massager
I love the uKnead Leg Massager, which definitely kneads and applies pressure to my lower legs in the right areas. It’s one of the best and most soothing massages one can try, having soft cushioning and efficient airbags inside. These airbags can compress and rub well and add enough pressure to keep your feet well-circulated, from calves to toes.
With its excellent compression, you can relax better right after your runs. It even comes with different modes and intensities, as well as added heat for your comfort. Because of its snug fit and pain-relieving massages, it’s definitely worth the investment.
- Offers excellent pressure in different modes and intensities
- Can be adjusted easily and quickly without hassle
- Advanced heat function that stays within the limit
- Some complaints about larger-sized feet not fitting the massager
- Massage rollers might not give enough pressure for some users
2. The Advanced and Healthy: Cloud Massage Foot Massage Machine
The Cloud Massage Machine offers a wide range of modes for comfort and pain relief. It doesn’t only work best for runners with fatigued feet, but for those who have different conditions as well, from plantar fasciitis or diabetes. The massager offers a dual massage of both vibration and compression to decrease numbness and keep your blood circulating your lower legs.
Just take note that it can apply more pressure than you’re used to, so start gradually. Other than that, it’s a great choice if you’re more focused on its compression features.
- Dual massage of compression and vibration for better circulation
- Amazing compression pressure with multiple intensities
- Deep kneading massage that feels like a masseuse
- The heat therapy isn’t as efficient or warming
- Will feel more pressure than usual, feels uncomfortable at first
3. The Compact and Customizable: TRIDUCNA Shiatsu Foot Massager
The TRIDUCNA is a great foot massager and while it doesn’t reach the calves, it still does a great job in kneading your feet. Whenever I use it after my runs, I can feel less pain around my calves and thigh area. I like it best because of how easy it is to use and its many customizable features.
There are three intensity levels and an automatic heat function that gradually increases, making it safe to use. It doesn’t add too much pressure at first so you won’t need to worry about discomfort or pain either.
- Safe to use with good pressure and heat, won’t cause pain
- Good customization for its price
- Excellent compression and deep kneading for relaxation
- The pressure may not be enough for some
- No adjustment for the heat option
4. The Simple and Good Compression: Tespo Shiatsu Foot Massager
I’m amazed at the Tespo Shiatsu Foot Massager because of its interesting design and futuristic look. The massager machine coves your feet only but has special leggier compression for your calves to relieve it from fatigue, too. Besides that, it also offers heat, compression, a rolling stick, and a rotation ball for a memorable massage for your feet.
It feels just like a professional massage and I like having it right after my runs because of how great it feels. It even has a soft and breathable cover to keep my feet cozy.
- Feels just like a massage therapist working on your feet
- Many modes and settings for a customized massage
- It has a good warranty and value for features
- Calves are only limited to air compression massage
- It’s better made for those with smaller feet
5. The Affordable and Smooth Performance: FIT KING Leg Air Massager
Similar to the editor’s choice, the FIT KING Leg Air Massager comes at a comfortable design. Though looking a bit clunky, it offers excellent massages for post-runs. It comes at a larger size to accommodate all types of shapes and sizes, having size extensions and ease of adjustability.
What makes it unique is its many modes, intensities, and techniques to choose from! It comes with TEN different massage techniques, two modes, and three intensities you can all adjust with remote control. For its adjustability in size and massage techniques, it’s a good option!
- It’s versatile and can fit most feet sizes with ease
- Many different techniques to keep your feet relaxed and healthy
- Relieves fatigue from runs well with enough pressure
- A bit confusing to use at first with its many settings
- Makes a bit of noise and can disturb you if sleeping
6. The Snug and Well-Circulating: Tespo Leg Massager
I love the Tespo Leg Massager because of how easy it is to configure and setup! Once you’ve got it out of the box, just wipe it down, plug it in and set it to what massage you want. It’s got spacious airbags that feel snug around your feet, squeezing the lower legs in the right spots to relieve fatigue after runs.
The massager even has a heating function with overheat protection for the user’s safety, and the adjustable leg wraps to add individual comfort. For its many modes, you’ll be surprised it comes at such an affordable price tag.
- Has six modes and three intensity levels for a customized massage
- Comes with a heating protection feature for safety while in use
- Performs efficiently for relieving fatigue in runners
- It makes too much noise sometimes
- Not the best for those with skinny calves
7. The Advanced Technology: Naipo Foot and Calf Massager
The Naipo Foot and Calf Massager offers one of the most advanced technologies. Though it comes at a higher price compared to other massagers I’ve tested, it does the job well done in all necessary aspects.
For starters, it has the modern and foldable design to easily store, with its chambers fitting snugly in most calved and feet. It also comes with the excellent compression with pressure enough to improve circulation AND keep your feet pain-free, whether it’s from a run or condition. It has the quality nodes and with a build that looks like it can last for years, making it worth the investment.
- Unique massager with foldable and attractive design
- Excellent quality nodes and cover for comfort during massage
- Effective in keeping your legs healthy and pain-free
- The price is too expensive for those on a budget
- Can be too short for those taller than six feet
8. The Relieving and Easy-to-Use: Human Touch Reflex SOL Foot and Calf Shiatsu Massager
Another advanced massager with excellent features goes to to the Human Touch SOL. This is a reflexology massager that uses compression and patented technology to work on maintaining your legs’ natural state. This is helpful for runners with tired feet that may alter its shape from the intensity of their runs.
The massages promote natural healing, ensuring quicker recovery for fatigued feet, rejuvenating muscles after a long run. With its CirQulation Figure-Eight technology, it circulates blood even better compared to other massagers, letting nutrients re-enter the calves and feet.
- Unique and patented technology to improve blood circulation
- Easy to adjust the intensity and amazing reflexology for healing
- Adjustable to fit all legs and individual tilt preference
- It has an expensive price and not for those on a budget
- Feels too busy and heavy, can’t be carried easily
9. The Patented Technology and Stimulating: Human Touch Reflex4 Foot and Calf Shiatsu Massager
Human Touch is an excellent brand and if you’re looking for something at a more affordable price, you’ll like the Reflex4. Moderately-priced, it still has the painted 8-figure technology which promotes better circulation for health and rejuvenated muscles. Whenever I use it after runs, the better I feel for the next, as my legs feel smoother and more stimulated.
It lessens the tightness around my muscles and legs, keeping it more energized and free from pain. Because of that and its other convenient features like the floor protector and handle, I believe it’s a great buy.
- Has convenient features to make it easy to carry and store
- Ergonomic design to match your legs’ shape and size
- Patented technology to simulate a real massage therapist
- Their customer service isn’t helpful at all
- Will hurt your feet at first, takes time to get used to
10. The Efficient and Different Modes: Giantex Shiatsu Foot and Calf Massager
Last but not least, the Giantex Foot and Calf Massager offers a variety of massages that fits all sizes. You can choose from rolling, Shiatsu, kneading, vibration, as well as heating for ultimate comfort without the high price. It can replicate a massage therapist well, targeting the right areas around your lower legs.
While not the best massage, it still does the job well done in boosting recovery quality after runs. It’s got the quality discs and various intensities, heating levels, and customized modes, not something you’ll see from massagers in the price range.
- Excellent value with many modes and functions to choose from
- Ergonomic design that targets sensitive areas of the legs
- Helps with relaxation and lessens the tired feet
- The massager makes a popping sound like the rolls bump each other
- Large and bulky construction, can’t bring around easily
Benefits of Using a Foot and Calf Massager
Before getting a massager, I was a bit hesitant. It seemed like I was spending a ton of money when I could just massage my legs myself or have someone do it for me. However, I realized that there are so many benefits a foot and calf massager had to offer, such as:
1. Better Blood Circulation
Everyone needs healthy blood circulation, especially runners whose feet take a huge hit! A massager offers pressure and circular movements, which help improve blood circulation, increasing blood flow to your tissues. This also helps with recovery and improves your overall health.
With better blood flow, you have a healthier heart and also prevent any long-lasting issues around your legs. This is also extremely beneficial for those who live a sedentary lifestyle as they don’t use their legs enough!
2. Added Heat and Cool Features
Sure massagers have good massages, but they don’t have added heat you can automatically adjust! With a massager, you have added heat and more features, which can help make your experience a more relaxing one.
It’s also more cost-effective than getting a masseuse, as you have to pay them each time you visit, spending more money going to the spa and for their services. You can get a massage every day after a run with a foot and calf massager!
3. There Are Many Modes to Choose From
There are so many different types of massages to choose from, in various intensities and pressures. You have all the customization in your hands with a massager, since it has a remote control to choose what massage mode you like, as well as the intensity of the massage.
That way, you won’t be too shy to ask a masseuse to go softer or harder, just have it changed in a click of a button.
4. Improved Relaxation From Tired Feet
Did you know that our feet alone have thousands of nerve endings, all of which are connected to different parts of our body? When we stimulate these nerve endings daily with a massage, it can relax us. How?
Hitting these nerve endings correctly can reduce our stress and anxiety. It can even relax us enough to improve our focus on exercise and work and have us sleep better.
5. Help Your Feet Recover
When we run almost every day and do other sports, our feet WILL get tired. Stretching is a great way to help reduce that fatigue, but massagers can do more.
A foot and calf massager would do compressions, knead, and vibrate all over your leg, which soothes the ache. It also brings you comfort for quicker recovery, so you can run well again the next day!
6. Prevent Running Injuries
A good massage can help our feet recover better from aches and pains after a run. This can benefit intense runners who go out every day, lessening the chance of knots and other injuries that may be caused by poor stretching or tight muscles. A massager can help loosen up knots and the painful parts of your legs after a run, getting it ready for the next one.
How to Choose the Best Foot and Calf Massager
Now that you know how beneficial foot and calf massagers can be as a runner, which one is best for you? There are so many different massagers out there, though it’s easy as long as you know what you want. Here are the important elements and factors to consider when selecting the best one for you:
1. Type of Massager
There are different types of foot and calf massagers available, and you can choose one depending on your needs and budget:
Full Leg Massager
A full leg massager is the most expensive yet gives the best value for your investment. These cover the feet and calves, but extend further until your knees and thighs!
Besides that, they offer more features such as vibrations, compressions, and rollers. This makes the massager the most powerful with various intensities and modes. I recommend it for runners because of how effective it is with deep-tissue muscle recovery.
Foot and Calf Massage Machine
This is the next best type of massager, the main ones I’ll be reviewing now. They offer similar deep tissue muscle recovery like fill leg massagers depending on what you get.
Some of these machines come with rollers air compressions, and vibrations, while others either have one or two of these features only. Either way, they provide a great massage experience from the feet to calves without the hefty price tag.
Air Compression Massager Wrap
These air compression wraps are more focused n the calves’ blood circulation, working through built-in airbags which compress then decompresses at various intensity levels. These help soothe muscle pain and aches, either coming in the form of wraps or boot-like build.
Shiatsu is a popular type of massage which many love, simulating a masseuse working on your lower legs! This can relieve muscle pain and overall discomfort, also suitable for runners after an intense run. These are more specialized types of massagers compared to the typical machine which offers just rollers, compressions, and kneading.
2. Do You Need Heat?
Not all foot and calf massagers come with heat features, and not everyone needs them as well. For me, I believe that heat features are a huge part of the experience and do wonders for my legs after runs! If you have the extra budget, I definitely recommend you get heat features.
When you have thermal massages, it will soothe muscle aches and decrease tension, which is usually felt after runs. It also improves blood circulation!
3. How Big Is It?
You wouldn’t want a massager taking up so much space around your home! However, it’s inevitable for it to take up some space, given the fact it covers half your legs. I recommend that you get something with a compact and foldable design to easily store away for future use.
Besides this, you also have to consider the size of your calves and feet. The massager should be big enough to accommodate it.
4. The Ergonomics and Design
You should also consider the design of your chosen foot and calf massager. Not only should it look good, but be constructed to function well. Focus on massagers which add to your user experience over flashy features you won’t even benefit from.
With that said, look into massagers with design features such as easy-to-grab handles, an adjustable tilting base, removable and washable fabrics, non-skid floor protectors, and more purposeful add-ons.
5. Massage Intensity and Modes
No two massagers are the exact same, each having different looks, prices, and/or features. However, many of these massagers do have similar features, differing in function and intensity.
Before getting a massager, consider the features you absolutely need. What intensity levels would you like and would you like compressions, rollers, and vibrations included? Or are you fine with just a few intensity levels and just one type of kneading and pressure? These can help you figure out what your budget should be and narrow down your choice one massagers.
6. What’s Your Budget?
How much are you willing to spend on your massager? I can’t deny, they can be quite pricey, though you can find cheaper ones below $100. The average prices come between $100 to $300, with $500 being at the higher end.
I don’t recommend that you base your choice on price alone, but to look into the features and reviews of each massager first to see the value. Start off with a price you CAN afford, you don’t need to spend for the most expensive but do NOT scrimp on your massager.
7. Ease of Use
Of course, you should look into a massager you can easily set up and understand to avoid any confusion. This lessens your stress and has you focus more on the massage itself!
Get massager which have remote control options for added convenience and the user-friendly interface. If you’re getting one with manual controls, then it should be positioned in an area you can reach without straining yourself.
I recommend that you also get a massager with removable fabrics you can wash or replace. It will decrease the wear and tear, having the massager last longer.
8. Any Other Health Conditions?
I got a foot and calf massager because it soothed my aches after an intense run. However, it worked on my legs not just for the post-run relaxation, but for other health issues as well! If you suffer from conditions beyond running aches, then I recommend you look into massagers which specify on such.
Whether you have diabetes, circulation problems, or are overweight, consider your state of health and the massager that focuses more on it. Of course, remember to talk with your doctor for more recommendations before getting a massager.
Frequently Asked Questions: Best Foot and Calf Massager
Did you know that there are more things to know about foot and calf massagers? Here are some of the frequently asked questions many have wondered about these products:
1. Are these massagers effective and help plantar fasciitis?
YES, foot and calf massagers are effective and will give you benefits mentioned above as long as you use it right. They don’t only relax your lower legs, but your entire body as well!
As mentioned, it receives pain from plantar fasciitis, as well as other inner health issues such as anxiety and high blood pressure. Even just ten minutes a day can help improve your mind and body. Just make sure you follow the tips on how to use it and avoid abusing the massager!
2. How do I use a foot and calf massager?
Using your foot and calf massager isn’t as difficult as it seems. Once you’ve unboxed the massager, simply wipe it down and plug it in to begin configuring its settings. Make sure that your lower legs are clean before placing it inside the massager slowly and carefully, do not force your feet in.
Gradually increase the intensity as you go until it hits your pressure points just right, not too painful. Do not go for the highest setting right away, as this might be counteractive for your legs. Only have 10-15 minute massages daily or after runs to prevent “crushing” your muscles.
The minimum recommended massage to reap benefits is ten minutes. Avoid going over 30 minutes, which should be the maximum time you use the massager.
3. What things can I do to care for my massager?
Caring for your massager is just as easy as using it. All you need to make sure is that you don’t abuse it or force your feet into it quickly. Also, wipe it down after use and clean it regularly to prevent it from wearing out.
Store it in a cool and dry area in its box if possible, not under direct sunlight. Also, make sure your massager is unplugged when not in use to prevent accidents or damage.
4. Are there any risks to watch out for when using my massager?
There are a few risks associated with using a foot massager, but they aren’t serious and would only happen when used wrong. In rare cases, it may increase the risk of blood clots, especially when using a compression foot massager. This happens in those who are pregnant, have heart conditions, suffer from major injuries or malformations, as well as those with inflammation and/or joint dysfunctions.
If ever you run with medical implantations or have circulatory issues, it’s best to consult a doctor before getting a massager.
5. Why get a foot AND calf massager instead of the usual foot massager?
A foot massager only applies pressure around your feet rather than your lower legs. While beneficial as well, I prefer a foot and calf massager because it hits pressure points you make an impact on throughout your run. That way, the important parts of your legs are relaxed and have better blood circulation for recovery.
The only con to foot and calf massagers is that they are more expensive and may take up more space than foot massagers. However, it’s a small cost for me, though the choice still depends on you!
6. What else can I do to help my foot and calves after runs?
Beyond massagers, there are helpful ways to keep your lower legs safe from any injuries and improve recovery time. You can follow these tips:
- Make sure that you warm-up and cool down before and after your runs
- Always keep your legs cool after a run and take a rest day between to lessen the chances of overfatigue
- Walk after a run for five to ten minutes
- Consider doing calf strengthening exercises along with your runs to prevent further injuries
- Condition your legs and GRADUALLY increase intensity than go all out in one day
Check out this helpful video on how to use a good and calf massager, as well as short reviews to learn more:
Wrapping It Up
While running is extremely beneficial, it does take a toll on your legs, which is why a good massage is needed. With a good foot and calf massager, you can have unlimited massages without the hefty price. They even have more features you can take advantage of, depending on what you choose!
Of all the different foot and calf massagers tried and tested, the best one goes out to the uKnead Leg Massager. What’s great about this massager is that it can give enough pressure for your lower legs, ensuring that it gives you enough circulation for better recovery.
Besides this, it even offers heat and adjustable massage modes for comfort. I’ve never felt better post-run with this massager, and recovery time takes even quicker now, with fewer risks of injury.
I hope my purchasing guide on the best foot and calf massager gave you an idea of what to get. So don’t wait any longer and invest in any of these massagers now!
Do you have any questions or would like to share your reviews on any of these massagers? Then share your comments below, all your thoughts are much appreciated.