If there’s one thing I absolutely NEED for my runs, it’s the best running sunglasses, protecting my eyes every time! Did you know that running sunglasses aren’t just the typical sunnies you use at the beach, though? These are specialized glasses which ensure that you stay protected without the hassle of it falling down!
And you’ll be surprised by the many types of running sunglasses available today. The question is: Which one’s the best for you and your own runs?
I did all the research to learn about running sunglasses AND the best choices, so read on! This is my ultimate purchasing guide to learn all about running sunglasses and which are made for you.
- 1 6 Best Running Sunglasses For Men 2020
- 1.1 1. The Versatile and Unbreakable: RIVBOS Polarized Sports Sunglasses
- 1.2 2. The Flexible and Solid: Oakley OO9144 Half Jacket Sunglasses
- 1.3 3. The Large and Upgraded: Oakley Half Jacket XL Polarized Sunglasses
- 1.4 4. The Robust and Good Fit: Under Armour Igniter Sunglasses
- 1.5 5. The Minimalist and Functional: Oakley Half Jacket Sunglasses
- 1.6 6. The Unique and Complete Features: Oakley Radar Iridium Shield Sunglasses
- 2 6 Best Running Sunglasses For Women 2020
- 2.1 1. The Attractive and Durable: Tifosi Wisp Sunglasses
- 2.2 2. The Secure and Cool: Under Armour Rival Shield Sunglasses
- 2.3 3. The Simple and Affordable: Tifosi Swank Sunglasses
- 2.4 4. The Ultra Protective: SPY Optic Helm Sunglasses
- 2.5 5. The Lightweight and Panoramic: Julbo Aerolite Sunglasses
- 2.6 6. The Premium and Strong: Nike Vaporwing Elite
- 3 Benefits Of Using Running Sunglasses
- 4 How to Choose the Best Running Sunglasses
- 5 Tips For Running Under the Sun
- 6 The Best Running Sunglasses: Frequently Asked Questions
- 7 Wrapping It Up
6 Best Running Sunglasses For Men 2020
1. The Versatile and Unbreakable: RIVBOS Polarized Sports Sunglasses
What I love most about the RIVBOS Sports Sunglasses is its excellent versatility and strength. You can actually use it for more than just running, but for other sports AND driving as well. It has the unbreakable frame that stays in shape no matter how many times you use it and even when it drops.
That’s because it’s made from the premium materials, having the high-grade Switzerland TR90 construction. Besides this, it feels lightweight and with the amazing lenses which filter out 100% of all UVA, UVB, UVC, or other harmful rays. While it doesn’t stay the most secure, it’s more than bough given its durability.
- Amazing durability and built to last for years
- 100% protection from all types of harmful rays
- Comes in a complete package to begin using now
- Might feel wobbly and doesn’t stay in place while running
- Nose bridge feels tight for some users
2. The Flexible and Solid: Oakley OO9144 Half Jacket Sunglasses
Oakley is one of the most well-known companies for their sunglasses, and for a reason. Not only do they have sunglasses for style and professional use, but for other sports like running as well. That’s why I highly commend the OO9144 for its flexibility and a good feel.
The glasses are made with the excellently flexible material that makes it adjust to your face shape and size. Furthermore, it’s built with both the composite frame and lens with non-polarized Iridium to ensure its durability and effectivity. In fact, it protects your eyes from UV with its 100% protection coating!
- Extremely flexible and adjusts to your face shape and size
- Has a stylish design that looks cool and simple
- Non-polarized Iridium and 100% UV protection coating
- The sunglasses are non-polarized so there’s still a bit of glare
- Some complaints of it being too small for some head shapes
3. The Large and Upgraded: Oakley Half Jacket XL Polarized Sunglasses
I really commend the Oakley again with their Half Jacket XL Polarized Glasses. While the previous one was made with non-polarized lenses and a bit smaller for some, this pair creates a solution. Not only is it with polarized lenses for minimal glare, but it also has the XL size to ensure it fits ALL head shapes without problems.
Similar to the Oakley OO9144, it comes with the flexible frame made with strong polycarbonate. Furthermore, it’s built with the polarized and 100% UV protection coating. While it isn’t fully protected from all types of harmful rays, it does more than enough for normal runs.
- Great for those with wider faces for its XL size
- Lightweight and good feel doesn’t feel uncomfortable
- Lasts for years of daily and intense use
- Doesn’t protect you from all types of sun rays
- Some complaints of shipment and receiving open cases
4. The Robust and Good Fit: Under Armour Igniter Sunglasses
If your main focus is sunglasses which ensure an amazing fit without hassle or discomfort, you’ll love Under Armour. It’s a popular brand like Oakley, this time known for their athletic products so you know they ensure the quality build. With the Igniter Sunglasses, you get all the necessary features in a pair of running sunglasses without the high price.
Comparing it to Oakley, it offers 100% protection not just from UV rays, but from UVA, UVB, and UVC rays. Furthermore, its frame is built with a combination of polycarbonate and titanium for even better strength. Granted, it has a plastic frame and lens, but it still stays strong and durable to last for long.
- Made with 100% protection from all types of UV rays
- Built with polycarbonate and titanium for durability
- Great fit and stays in place without discomfort
- Wiggles and jiggles a bit but they snap lock to position
- Some complaints of not being as dark as expected
5. The Minimalist and Functional: Oakley Half Jacket Sunglasses
If you really want to get the Oakley but have a smaller head shape, then get these pair. It’s similar to the Oakley Half Jacket XL Sunglasses, though at a smaller size. With that said, it still accommodates different sizes well and made with upgraded features.
For starters, the lenses are prescription ready and you’re able to change its lenses to a grade suitable for you. Besides that, it has the Iridium polarized lenses to ensure its quality and protection. It completely blacks you out from the harmful rays though still offers enough visibility under the sun.
- Fit for smaller head shapes and with flexibility for adjustment
- The lenses are prescription ready and can be replaced
- Made with Iridium coating that protects you from sun rays
- Too dark for overcast days, used only for sunny areas
- The lenses would scratch easily, requires even more care
6. The Unique and Complete Features: Oakley Radar Iridium Shield Sunglasses
Last but not least, I highly recommend that you invest in the Oakley Radar Sunglasses! Another one from Oakley, you can see I really love the brand and you can find a pair for just about any need you have. Plus, it has a unique and sleek design built for a professional runner!
What makes these Radar sunglasses unique among the rest is its lenses. Though non-polarized, it’s built with a wider range of view to ensure that you can see everything, particularly around your upper peripheral vision. This keeps you safe during your runs and prevents any risk of injury or accidents.
- Has a cool design that looks professional and strong
- A wider range of view for better running experiences and sight
- Made with extremely strong materials for frame and lenses
- The sunglasses’ nosepiece feels too harsh on the skin
- A bit difficult to place and adjust to the right positioning you want
6 Best Running Sunglasses For Women 2020
1. The Attractive and Durable: Tifosi Wisp Sunglasses
What I love most about the Tifosi Wisp Sunglasses is its cool design, looking very chic as you run. Besides that, it also has a good fit that keeps the frame stay on your head as you run. It’s built with the typical materials but with the quality, construction made to last for a few years to come.
It’s simple and moderately priced, also having the adequate lens coating, offering more than enough protection based on its cost. If you’re more focused on style and price, then you’ll appreciate the Tifosi. Though not the absolute best in blocking off UV rays, you can’t beat its price.
- Has a simple and unique design built for aesthetics
- Sturdy construction to last at a moderate price
- Lightweight and comfortable feel without it wiggling
- Not the best in eye protection, but adequate enough
- Very small size and good fit only for small head shapes
2. The Secure and Cool: Under Armour Rival Shield Sunglasses
Another excellent choice goes out to the Under Armor Rival Shield Sunglasses which are made best for its excellent lenses. It’s built with titanium and with the plastic frame and lenses, having the sturdy construction to last long. Furthermore, its lenses are made of excellent quality, having the 100% protection coating form UVA, UVB, and UVC.
Besides that, I like its snug fit as well, which ensures that it doesn’t fall off as easily or feel too tight. For those who want sports glasses to use for running and other activities, you’ll appreciate Under Armour.
- Secure ft with the excellent grip no matter how you move
- Has the amazing protection from different harmful rays
- Adjustable nose pads for better security and comfort
- The lenses may scratch easily, needs better care
- They don’t make any replacement lenses available
3. The Simple and Affordable: Tifosi Swank Sunglasses
Another great choice from Tifosi, their Swank Sunglasses have average protection at such an affordable price. They are actually made for casual use, but you can use it for running and still get a good grip. Just be wary about its durability and its secureness since, as mentioned, it’s made for casual use.
Their Smoke Bright Blue lens protects you from the typical sunny day, but not enough from extremely hot times. It fits most had shapes and faces well and feels comfortable, too. However, I only recommend these glasses if you’re on an extreme budget and won’t use it intensely.
- Extremely affordable price with the good value from Tifosi
- Comfortable fit that’s made for small to large faces
- Comes with case and cleaning bag for storage
- Questionable durability and grip during runs, may not last long
- It protects the eyes but only to an extent with blue lens
4. The Ultra Protective: SPY Optic Helm Sunglasses
If you’re looking for the ultra-protective glasses that really keep your eyes from harm’s way, SPY Optic is best. Not only does it have durable lenses, but a good frame made with grilamid, strong material to last. Furthermore, it has the polarized and polycarbonate lens which block off any sunlight and harmful rays while still being able to see your surroundings well.
However, take note that these aren’t really meant for extremely intense activities. I recommend it more so for distance running without the high bounces or intense movements.
- Polarized and polycarbonate lenses to prevent glare
- Comfortable fit with smooth nose bridge
- Strong and durable frame to last long
- Best for slow and/or distance runs to prevent slippage
- Difficult to clean and care for because of the matte finish
5. The Lightweight and Panoramic: Julbo Aerolite Sunglasses
The first thing that amazed me with the Julbo Aerolite Sunglasses was its awesome design. It looked very professional and truly made for the professional athlete. Not surprisingly, it’s really made for serious and professional runners as well.
It comes with every feature required for sports glasses, such as its adjustable nose wings and lightweight properties for comfort. Furthermore, its lenses offer a panoramic view AND a breathable seat architecture to prevent fogging. From its secure fit down to the useful features, you get more than what you pay for!
- Advanced technology for better comfort and lightweight design
- Prevents fogging and with adjustable nose wings
- A panoramic view worth adequate protection from the sun
- It comes at a very expensive price
- Not many lens options to choose from
6. The Premium and Strong: Nike Vaporwing Elite
Last but not least, we have the Nike Vaporwing Elite, known for its extreme strength and sleek design. Coming from a well-known brand like Nike, you only get the best quality with these sunglasses, made with excellent dimensions.
However, it’s non-polarized and may not completely protect your eyes from all harmful rays and light. With that said, it still does the job and will last for years of intense use. Comfortable and lightweight, it’s what you look for in typical running sunglasses.
If you’re focusing more on excellent quality to last while still protecting you adequately, you’ll like Nike!
- Extremely comfortable and lightweight adjusts to your face shape
- Easy to place and find the right positioning, feels snug
- Cool and sleek design that looks great for trails and road running
- Won’t completely protect you from all types of light
- Non-polarized and doesn’t give the widest range of view
Benefits Of Using Running Sunglasses
I used to think that all I needed for a great run were a pair of good running shoes and breathable clothes. However as I continued to run during the daytime, I realized how hot and sunny it gets. Sure, my feet and body were protected with what I wore, but my eyes took the brunt of the sunlight.
I didn’t even know running sunglasses were a thing until now! When I bought a pair and continued using them, I discovered it had the following benefits, like:
Better Eye Protection and Health
Just like wearing your typical sunglasses, this is the number one benefit to reap! When under the direct sunlight, your eyes are exposed to UV rays and bright lights. This can cause higher eye grade or risk of different eye conditions and diseases.
With proper running sunglasses, it maintains optimal eye health and prevents any exposure that can blind you.
Stays Snug On Your Face
The right type of running sunglasses don’t feel uncomfortable or would slip off from your head. Most come with straps or customizable frames which ensure that it stays in place.
That way, even during the most intense runs, you won’t have to worry about adjusting your glasses. You get protection and can see better as if you weren’t wearing anything!
Versatile and More Use
Did you know that you can use running sunglasses for more than just your runs? You can even use it for driving and other sports, or even as casual use when at the beach or in sunny areas. I personally use it for other sports and situations when I’m under the sun.
You get your money’s worth and have cool sunglasses to use to protect your eyes wherever you go.
Run Properly Without Blinding Yourself!
When you’re faced with the sun or any other elements which irritate your eyes, it temporarily blinds you. As a result, your runs are affected, since you need to stop and rub your eyes. Even worse, you risk falling or getting into an accident from the sun or dust temporarily blinding you!
With protective sunglasses, you have better visibility and see anything regardless of what may come your way. You can focus more on your runs and say safe!
Defend From the Elements
Besides sun exposure, sunglasses can also protect you from different types of weather. Whether it’s rain, snow, fog, you can still see clearly despite where and when you run.
Because of this, you can focus more on your run and see clearly. Plus, it also protects you from any dust or bugs that may come your way and irritate your eyes.
How to Choose the Best Running Sunglasses
Now that you know all about the different benefits the right sunglasses have to offer, the next question is: How do you know which is the best one? There are different types of running sunglasses according to your individual needs!
With that said, make sure you look into the following factors to make the right choice.
Lens Tint and Coating
There are actually different types of tints to choose from when selecting sunglasses, such as:
- Polarized tint helps in reducing glare while improving clarity. It’s great for those who run near lakes or on roads, as light would reflect off windows, asphalt, or water, causing intense glare.
- Mirror coating is great for extremely sunny days, as it has an outer coating for reflective mirror look. Because of its outer coating, it reflects light, reducing glare. It’s also ideal for snowy or wet conditions to prevent the light from reflecting straight to your eyes.
- Clear isn’t a coating or tint, though there’s still a barrier between the wind and your eyes. This prevents your eyes from tearing or drying up from the wind. I recommend it for those who live in windy areas or with a lot of dust.
- Yellow tints help sharpen one’s view around their running environment. It flyers out dark blue light, which is great for early morning, cloudy days, or even during the early evening.
- Darker tints (either green or gray) would sharpen your surroundings, similar to yellow tints. It’s made best for bright and sunny days though, especially if you live in great weather.
Suitable Frame Shape
There are also different frame shapes you can choose from as well, such as:
- Total cover sunglasses are best to provide the most protection against sunlight and other conditions.
- Wrap-around sunglasses have curved frames for ultimate protection from your peripheral vision.
- Panoramic frames offer wide lenses for broader vision spectrum.
- Curved temples give you a snugger fit and stronghold to prevent slippage.
- Curved wrapping frames are most ideal for runners as they stay put despite sharp movements (like runs!)
Durable Frame Materials
Usually, running sunglasses are made with a plastic or metal frame.
- Metal frames feature beautiful and modern designs, having lightweight and durable properties. It’s a bit more durable and expensive than plastic frames, though there’s the possibility of denting it. With that said, it’s important to choose a high-quality metal that doesn’t dent or damage easily.
- Plastic frames, on the other hand, absorb impact and are most ideal for rough use. It’s actually durable as long as you get one made of high-quality material.
Proper UV Protection
It’s crucial to also look into UV protection. In fact, this is the first thing you should look into when getting sunglasses!
With the best UV protection, the lenses will protect your eyes and prevent it from any damage. I recommend that you get sunglasses which can block out up to 98% of UVA and UVB rays.
Other Extra and Useful Features
Besides these factors mentioned above, you should also consider getting running sunglasses with the following extra features:
- Anti-fogging to ensure that your views stay clear consistently.
- Scratch-resistant frames and lenses for durability.
- Adjustable nose pads to customize it according to your comfort.
- Interchangeable lenses in case of different light environments and grade levels.
- Grip techs or flex nose grips to increase the comfort and grip to prevent it from falling off.
- Cord attachments or straps for it to stay on you even if it falls off.
- Lightweight material for added comfort.
- Fun and bold style according to what you think looks great on you
Tips For Running Under the Sun
Running sunglasses are highly beneficial only if you know how to use them correctly! Here are more tips to follow on using running sunglasses and protecting yourself as you run under the sun:
- Make sure that besides your running sunglasses, you also prepare according to the weather. Put on sunscreen, wear breathable clothes, and monitor the weather to prevent heatstrokes. It’s best to postpone a run if it gets too hot, both in sunlight and in temperature
- Prevent getting a heatstroke by staying hydrated with water or sports drinks before, during, and after your run. Make sure to fuel up before eating as well to prevent fainting or dizzy spells from the heat!
- Avoid using your sunglasses by using a strap, if it doesn’t come with one yet
- If ever your glasses become foggy or dirty, ensure that you pack cleaning tissues and that you spray anti-fogging solution to prevent it from smoking up and affecting its visibility. You can also create an anti-fogging solution by cleaning it with shampoo or washing liquid
- If ever it rains during the run, I advise you to use a visor with your glasses to prevent it from the rain blinding your glasses
- Even if you wear running sunglasses, it won’t completely protect your eyes from direct sunlight! As much as possible, avoid looking directly into the sun and keep your eyes on your surroundings rather than the sky
It’s important to also learn how to run under hot weather properly! Let this video with more tips on running in hot weather help you out:
The Best Running Sunglasses: Frequently Asked Questions
Check out these helpful frequently asked questions on the best running sunglasses for more information:
1. How do you care for your running sunglasses?
To care for your running glasses, make sure that you keep them in a safe place when not in use. Clean and wipe it after you use it for running and keep it in a case or store in room temperature.
Furthermore, I highly recommend that you avoid putting too much stress on your sunglasses. Avoid bending it too much and wear it as a strap to prevent it from falling down or getting damaged.
2. Can I put professional eye grade on my sunglasses?
You can put a prescription grade on your sunglass lenses, but it depends on the type of running sunglasses you have! Many different sunglass brands are prescription ready so you can either put it directly on the lenses or use clip-on inserts.
That way, those who have prescription lenses will be able to see as they run, protecting your eyes and seeing better. Just make sure that you do your research to find brands that allow clip-on inserts OR can be placed into the lenses itself.
3. Can’t I wear protective contacts or hats instead of running sunglasses?
It’s possible to either wear contacts, visors, or nothing at all for eye protection. However, I’m highly against it especially during sunny weather to prevent your eyes from worsening.
This is because contact lenses only help you see better if you have a prescription grade. Furthermore, hats don’t protect your eyes fully and might even fall off as you continue running. If you do wear contacts or hats, it’s best to have running sunglasses to further protect your eyes.
4. It feels weird using running sunglasses, is that normal?
If it’s your first time wearing running sunglasses, it’s completely normal and will take time to get used to. Give it a few days of running and you’ll be able to get used to its feel.
If ever it still continues to feel weird or uncomfortable, it might be the wrong size or fit. Consider getting your sunglasses resized to keep it from falling while still feeling great as you wear it.
5. When’s the best time to use running sunglasses?
You can use your running glasses just about anytime you run, as long as it isn’t complete darkness! I highly recommend that you use your running sunglasses only when under the sun or during hot weather. It’s also best to use it during inclement weather like rain or snow to protect yourself from the elements.
I always use my sunglasses for morning or afternoon runs, but never during the night or I won’t be able to see.
Wrapping It Up
Getting running sunglasses can really help upgrade your future runs with extra eye protection. Not only will you lessen the hassle of running under the sun, but your eyes will thank you with better vision in the long run. It’s great for those who live in hot and sunny climates!
Of all the different running sunglasses, I love the RIVBOS Polarized Sports Sunglasses for men. Not only is it made for running, but I can use it for other uses as well, making it versatile enough for more sports and driving. With its excellent fit and extra protection from the sun and UV rays, it keeps my eyes safe as I run throughout the day.
As for women, the Tifosi Wisp Sunglasses is best for me because of its durability and strength. It’s one of the strongest sunglasses I’ve had and even during intense runs or extremely sony weather, it holds up well. Made with the excellent lens and frame, I see it lasting for years to come without hassle.
I hope my purchasing guide on the best running sunglasses helped you out! So don’t wait any longer and look into any of these sunglasses now. If you have any questions or want to share your own experiences in the best running sunglasses, then comment below. Your thoughts are much appreciated.