Picking out the right shoes can be crucial. Even when you’re just looking for a pair that you can walk on concrete floors, you might come across a vast selection of walking shoes that can be pretty intimidating. But how can you choose the best shoes for walking on concrete surface? How can you tell when you need to buy a new pair of walking shoes?
Truly, there are several factors you need to consider first. If you’re suffering from foot-related health issues perhaps, you’ve just been recovering from surgery, you underpronate or overpronate, walking on a concrete surface might not always feel comfortable as it should be.
Therefore, sifting through these vital factors will also help you determine what type of walking shoes you should be wearing.
As you read through, I have compiled a list of the 12 highest-rated comfortable shoes for walking on concrete, both for men and women. Included is also an in-depth guide to help you come up with a worthwhile purchase.
- 6 Best Men’s Shoes for Walking on Concrete 2022
- 6 Best Women’s Shoes for Walking on Concrete 2022
- Is It Time To Buy A New Pair Of Walking Shoes?
- Different Types Of Walking Shoes: Which Should You Choose?
- How to Choose The Best Shoes for Walking on Concrete
- Wrapping It Up
6 Best Men’s Shoes for Walking on Concrete 2022
Skechers is among the reputable and popular brands of shoes and if you’re searching for comfy shoes for your high arch, this Men’s Go might just be a good pair to consider. These walking shoes are slip-on and you can just easily walk on them because they feel incredibly light when worn. It’s like walking on a cloud.
Although lightweight, they are durable and intricately built with mesh upper that also helps wick the moisture and sweat away.
The full-length goga mat insoles or the Goga Mat technology provides ample cushioning. As it renders a cozy feel, you can have your feet all day or walk on concrete floors comfortably.
For added comfort, a Memory Foam Fit design is also tailored around the heel that can give a secure and custom fit. The multi-directional traction soles also keep it from slipping.
- Designed with full-length Goga Mat insoles for ample cushioning
- Lightweight and durable
- Easy to wear; slip-on shoes
- Built with mesh upper for enhanced breathability; helps eliminate the odor and bacteria due to moisture and sweat
- Has a Memory Foam Fit design for secure and custom fit
- Ideal for people with high arches and for daily or casual walking
- May not be the best option for people with flat feet
- May not provide enough support for people who are heavy
The MW577 from New Balance is one of the highest-rated walking shoes you can find on the market. Made from leather, it offers durability that can last for long, especially when carefully taken care of.
Structured with rigid heels and rubber outsoles, these shoes can work on people who underpronate or have a low arch or flat feet.
These shoes can help improve or stabilize their walk to make sure they get the comfort and support they need. However, if you don’t need too much cushion, this might be a good pick.
To ensure you get a custom and secure fit, New Balance designed it with two velcro straps that you can adjust according to the fit you want. The multi-directional traction soles also add support that keeps the shoes intact and protected from slippery roads.
- Made of leather
- Hook-and-loop velcro straps that provide a secure and comfortable fit
- Ideal for people who need support and overpronate
- Easy to wear
- Designed with multi-directional traction that prevents slipping
- Has available sizes for wide feet
- Lacks in cushioning
Another popular brand that fills out many shoe stores is Adidas. Known for their durability and beautiful craftsmanship, these Men’s Swift shoes are among the vast lineup of the brand for comfortable walking. The synthetic material and rubber soles lend an optimal support to keep a snug and secure fit.
Designed with laces, you can just tie them up for the fit you prefer and you’re good to go! And because the back of the shoe doesn’t actually feel stiff, you can just slip your feet in it whenever you’re in a rush. The stretchy knit also provides added comfort and reduces the weight for a comfortable but lightweight shoe.
Besides these superb features, the OrthoLite sockliner also elevates the overall comfort to make sure you can ramp up your performance and speed. It also wicks the moisture, sweat, and odor away and therefore, prevents bacterial buildup. Such a feature also keeps your feet dry and cool.
Another impressive feature is the exterior. It is also embellished with embroidered accents and welded details that showcase a straightforward and chic design.
- Built with rubber soles for durability and optimal support; good pick for flat feet
- Designed with shoelaces that can be loosened or tighten up
- Stretchy knit provides comfort and custom fit and enhances breathability
- Lightweight and durable
- Designed with Ortholite Sockliner that wicks the moisture, sweat, and odor away; keeps your feet cool and dry
- A bit expensive
If you are taking the concrete trails for long walks every day, these Afterburn Strike lace-up sneakers from Skechers might be the pair you could get your feet on. It is engineered from synthetic and leather material that ensures durability that can last for years.
I like how the insoles are crafted with memory foam pads that can provide sufficient cushioning that can make the shoes feel cozier even when you’re wearing them for long hours. Not to mention the tongue and collar, both is also padded for additional comfort.
Besides the neutral tones for a more minimalist vibe, these fitness shoes have mesh upper that can keep your feet fresh and cool all the time as it wicks the moisture and sweat away. With the rigid outsoles and 1.75-inch heels, your flat feet can also get enough support and hence, can improve your pronation.
- Has memory foam insoles for sufficient cushioning; feels comfortable when worn
- Lightweight and durable
- Padded tongue and collar for added comfort
- Has 1.75-inch and rigid rubber outsoles for extra support and stability
- Mesh upper for enhanced breathability
- Neutral tones with subtle accents for a more chic style
- Cushioning provides great comfort but may wear out over time when used for strenuous activities
Brooks has been known for its function and style and these Ghost 10 are among the favorites for men’s walking shoes. Designed specifically for tough runs, these shoes can also handle your long daily walks without the comfort and support to suffer.
Crafted with forefoot cush pod, you can revel in smooth stride every step of the way while keeping up with the flexibility and comfort. The BioMoGo DNA technology is also a Brook’s common feature that also reinforces the cushioning that helps your feet adapt to or absorb the impact efficiently.
This shoe is integrated with different levels of cushioning, the Crash Pad and Cushole technology that both function to give you smooth strides while rendering the support you need. Therefore, it showcases ample comfort, support, durability, and flexibility that can make your feet essentially bolstered up and thus, enhance or even correct your pronation.
Even with all these remarkable features, the Ghost 10 doesn’t feel heavy but rather lightweight making you feel comfortable without making you feel like walking uphill. For medium or neutral to high arch support, these shoes might just be a great pair to try on.
- Designed with the BioMoGo DNA technology that provides optimal cushioning and impact protection
- Flexible and comfortable due to the forefoot cush pod
- Crafted with Crash Pad and Cushole technology for ample cushioning and support
- Offers support for medium to high arch
- Lightweight and durable
- Also ideal for wide feet and forefoot strikers
- Lacks in extra ankle support
If you’re donning a casual look or you’ve been on your feet all day at work, these Eberdon loafers from Rockport might just complement your style and needs. They are made from leather and rubber soles which both jives to provide the durability and support you need.
With half an inch of heels and solid rubber outsoles, these shoes can also be considered an option for those who require stability or motion control shoes. Although made from leather, they do not weigh a ton and Rockport makes sure you’re walking comfortably with its lightness qualities.
The outsoles are biomechanically streamlined to provide optimal support for your natural walk. This form-fitting shoe also keeps you backed up with lasting comfort, especially when you often walk for hours or miles. Breaking in won’t also be necessary.
In regards to the cushioning, Rockport designed it with EVA footbed that works to provide cozy feel and impact protection at the same time. Hence, these advance technologies efficiently function to achieve lightweight comfort and optimal support to keep your feet happy and healthy.
- Can be worn as casual shoes for long walks
- Made from leather for durability that can last for years
- Designed with rubber outsoles and half an inch heel for stability and support; can also be used for people with flat feet
- Crafted with EVA footbed for ample cushioning and also absorbs shock efficiently
- Lightweight and comfortable to wear for long hours
- Helps minimize foot fatigue
- May not be suitable as fitness shoes
6 Best Women’s Shoes for Walking on Concrete 2022
Skechers also shares its vast collection for walking shoes and these Go Walk 4 shoes are the comfortable slip-ons you can get your feet on. Made from mesh fabric, these shoes are radically lightweight which makes you feel like walking on clouds on every stride.
Intricately streamlined with the new Goga Max high rebound footbed, it essentially absorbs impact while keeping your feet comfortable at all times. Combined with the lightness qualities, it helps elevate your performance and also supports your natural way of walking.
In terms of the breathability, Skechers also reassures you’ve got the ample airflow that wards off the odor, moisture, and sweat. The mesh fabric does this job and its softness reinforces the comfortable fit. In addition to the mesh fabric, the Bamboo lined footbed also works to ensure you have fresh, clean, and cool feet all day.
- Designed with Goga Max high rebound footbed for impact protection and exceptional cushioning
- Slip-on shoes; easy to wear
- Made from a mesh fabric for great ventilation and incredibly light feel
- Designed with bamboo lined footbed that eliminates odor; keeps the feet fresh clean and cool
- Ideal for neutral walkers and who have high arches
- Not ideal for people who need stability or motion control shoes
- Lacks in support
Whether you’re taking the concrete trails for long walks or just looking for casual shoes to wear, these slip-on walking shoes from Tiosebon can be your comfortable buddy for your feet. Tailored with flyknit material, the softness and flexibility are truly outstanding which also showcases mesh upper and the hole in the sole for optimal airflow. Therefore, keeps your feet dry, fresh, and cool at all times.
It’s all about superior comfort and the soft-cushion outsoles can let your feet take delight in a lightweight and flexible support. Trimmed with Solyte midsoles, these shoes render durability that can endure long walks while absorbing the shock efficiently every step of the way.
With all the cushioning and support, these walking shoes can accommodate people who have high arches or those who pronate normally. May not be the best for stability, but functions exceptionally for ample comfort and support nonetheless.
- Very flexible and comfortable to wear due to soft cushioning and lightweight Flyknit material
- Incredibly lightweight but durable
- Has mesh upper and holes in the sole for breathability; keeps the feet cool and dry as it wicks the moisture and sweat away
- Designed with Solyte midsoles for durability and comfort
- Ideal for people who have high arches and have normal pronation
- Slip-on shoes; easy to wear
- May not be suitable as stability shoes
- Lacks support for people with low arches
Saucony is one of the top choices in the market that offers stability and comfort for people who have flat feet or low arch and those who pronate normally. The PROGRID cushioning works its wonders to let your feet indulge in utmost comfort while you walk.
In terms of support, the non-marking outsoles are crafted from durable rubbers that can work on long hours of walk or different activities indoors and outdoors. With its flexibility and traction, the support does not strain but rather optimal for neutral walkers and people who overpronate.
The exterior showcases a sleek and sporty look which can complement your casual style and fitness attire. If you’ve been on your feet all day or just looking for a pair to provide you with optimal support and comfort, this could be definitely worth a try.
- Ideal for neutral walkers and those who have low arches or overpronate
- Provides optimal comfort with the padded tongue and collar and PROGRID cushioning
- Renders support and impact protection with the multidirectional traction and non-marking outsoles
- Durable and lightweight
- Lace-up shoes to adjust the shoes to the desired secure fit
- Provides support for wide feet
- Does not provide enough support for people who have high arches
If you prefer lace-up walking shoes, these RYKA sky shoes can adapt to the comfortable and secure fit you need. Made from leather and mesh, the combination of material defines exceptional durability without straining the comfort and lightness properties.
The leather overlays work to reinforce the support while the mesh fabric enhances the shoe’s ventilation. Besides these, the memory foam sockliner ensures a remarkable comfort that lets you revel in cozy and soft feel every time you walk.
It isn’t all about the cushioning and flexibility. Ryka also ensures durability and support with the use of rubber outsoles. They also function to provide efficient protection and absorption on every impact. With its ample support, neutral walkers can keep up with the pace which can make every stride smooth and comfortable.
- Ideal for people with normal pronation
- Provides support and cushioning to keep the feet comfortable all day
- Made from leather and a mesh fabric
- Offers optimal ventilation that wicks the moisture and sweat away
- Designed with rubber outsoles for excellent traction and durability
- Lace-up shoes; adjustable fit
- Has memory foam sockliner for an exceptional comfort
- Does not provide enough arch support for people with flat feet
- A bit pricey
May seem a little sporty and preppy, but these Vionic walking shoes are definitely a treat for those who need shoes for casual, work, and fitness activities. Made from leather upper and durable rubber outsoles, these shoes can elevate your performance while letting your feet indulge in comfort, support, and efficient protection from any shock.
It is sleeked with a removable textile-covered EVA footbed for ample cushioning and therefore, keep your feet comfortable all day. It also has a half an inch elevation or heel that renders optimal support and smooth stride in heel-to-strike zone.
As these are lace-up shoes, figuring out the most comfortable and secure fit won’t be a problem. The adaptable comfort keeps the shoe from slipping off and thus, support your feet every step and transition. And because Vionic uses its Active Motion System technology, it feels flexible, lightweight, and cozy every time you walk, especially on concrete floors.
- Lightweight, flexible, and durable
- Provides ample cushioning and support for a smooth transition
- Made from leather and rubber outsoles for exceptional traction, impact protection, and durability
- Has Active Motion System that provides flexibility, comfort, and support
- Adjustable fit; lace-up shoes that keep them from slipping off
- Has .5-inch heel or elevation for heel-to-strike zone
- Lacks support for people with high arches
- Not for people with severe plantar fasciitis
These Addiction walking shoes from Brooks showcase sleek and chic style with its subtle accents and neutral tones. But Brooks wrap it up with exceptional support, comfort, and other superb features, especially for people with low arches or who have flat feet. People who are heavy in weight can also benefit of the support and comfort from these shoes.
Although not as lightweight as what other walking shoes are, all the cushions are worth the extra weight. Combined with optimal support, these features help improve or correct overpronation and therefore, relieve any foot fatigue and let you walk comfortably.
These shoes are also elevated for the stability and added support for heel-to-strike zone. And as they are lace-up, customizing the comfort is much easier. You can keep them secure and fit while taking the concrete trails for long walks.
The tongue and collar are padded as well to ensure arch support for your feet. Along with the great support, it has a roomy toe box that makes your feet even more comfortable, particularly if you have wide feet.
- Ideal for people who have flat feet or overpronate and are heavy in weight
- Provides exceptional comfort due to the extra cushioning; the collar and tongue are padded as well
- Elevated for added support for heel-to-strike zone
- Lace-up shoes; adjustable fit
- Has roomy toe box for added comfort; ideal for wide feet
- Tends to feel a bit heavy due to the cushioning and heels
- Does not provide enough ventilation
Is It Time To Buy A New Pair Of Walking Shoes?
It sometimes feels a bit tricky to know whether you’re doing well with your walking shoes or not. As long it starts to feel uncomfortable in any way, that’s definitely an indication to give up your walking shoes and perhaps, replace them with a new pair.
But besides that very common yet significant factor, in what other ways can you tell it’s time to buy a new pair of walking shoes? If you haven’t found out, here are some reminders to take note of:
- Every walking shoe has its respective life span. Eventually, they will wear out and may not work efficiently as they did before. Try walking them and check if there is any slight difference in terms of comfort and support. Consider checking the cushioning, the outsoles, and insoles
- If you ever feel any pain around your soles or you’ve been getting blisters, scorns, or calluses, there must be insufficient support or the cushioning might have probably been starting to wear out
- Another indication is when the tread pattern seems to be wearing thin or damaged
- The uppers have already ripped off or had visible damages
- The soles on the bottom and on the side have creases and been worn out
- When you’re walking and doesn’t feel balanced or you seem to be leaning on one side. The heels might have already worn out
Apart from all these indications, sometimes it is easy to identify whether your walking shoes are still in good condition or not, just by looking at it. Inspect your shoes thoroughly. However, you do not need to wait until they are completely worn out before buying a new pair.
As they may not provide adequate cushioning, the overall comfort and support may suffer if you keep on wearing your old walking shoes that have already been worn out. It can lead to certain foot-related health issues or permanent damages.
Different Types Of Walking Shoes: Which Should You Choose?
Unbeknownst to many, walking shoes that can be used on concrete are categorized into different types and each has its respective benefits that can provide ample support and comfort according to your condition.
Motion Control Walking Shoes
This type of walking shoe is specially designed for people who overpronate and have a flat arch or flat feet. With its durable and relatively heavier structure compared to other typical walking shoes, they are also a good fit for people who are heavy in weight.
These walking shoes are typically built with a thick heel, solid midsoles, and straight last. Although the structure may feel heavy and can be cumbersome for others, it can improve or help rectify pronation.
Structure: Very durable due to solid soles and heels but heavy.
Target Users: People who overpronate, are heavy in weight, and have flat feet.
Stability Walking Shoes
Compared to Motion Control shoes, Stability shoes are an ideal walking shoe design for people who are not too heavy and do not suffer from serious motion control issues.
Constructed with semi-curved last, thicker midsoles and heels, they tend to feel heavy but not as much as motion control shoes. However, they are flexible and renders ample support, comfort, and durability.
Structure: Flexible and typically made with semi-curved last. Feels a bit heavy but provides optimal support and resilience.
Target Users: People who are medium in weight and do not have serious motion control issues.
Lightweight Performance Walking Shoes
This type is designed for people with neutral or normal pronation and probably the ones you commonly see in every shoe store. As the name suggests, they are lightweight and crafted with soles for easier and more comfortable walking.
Although most designs tend to fall short in cushioning, it showcases flexibility that allows the person to elevate its performance and speed.
Structure: Lightweight and flexible but lacks in cushioning.
Target Users: People who pronate normally or have a neutral arch.
Cushioned Walking Shoes
The focal feature of these walking shoes is the cushioning. In contrast to Lightweight Performance shoes, Cushioned shoes fall short in support but the midsoles make them feel incredibly soft.
Therefore, it is a good option for people who have high arches and those who are not necessarily required to wear extra support.
Structure: Very soft, flexible, usually have heels, but lacks in support.
Target Users: People who have high arches and do not need extra support.
How to Choose The Best Shoes for Walking on Concrete
Identify The Length And Width Of Your Feet
Identifying your size is mandatory. If you’re not sure what category your feet fall in, you should take the measurements and check the length and width of your feet. This allows you to determine whether you have narrow, average, or wide feet and therefore, be able to choose the right shoe with ample support, comfort, durability, and space around the toes.
It is inevitably essential as there is a vast range of walking shoes that are specially designed for a certain category while some brands may not have available sizes for wider or larger feet.
Determine Your Arch Type
Your arch type will also tell you what kind of support you need and the type of walking shoes you should be wearing. It is categorized into three types:
Normal or Neutral arch – People with normal arch pronate normally and don’t usually require extra support or a special kind of support. If you have this type of arch, you can opt for lightweight and flexible shoes with firm midsoles.
High arch – In contrast to flat feet or low arch, people who have high arches under pronate and need extra support to prevent them from muscle or joint strain. In this case, cushioned shoes are probably the best option for footwear to get the support and comfort they need. You can also consider walking shoes that are built with a curved last.
Flat or Low arch – People with flat feet or low arch usually overpronate or the feet tend to roll inward or downwards when walking. With such condition, they can opt for stability shoes or motion control walking shoes to improve or even correct the way they walk.
Know How You Walk
If you are familiar with the style of your walking or the activities you usually engage in, it is much easier to determine how much comfort and support you need and the kind of shoes you should wear. If you often walk on pavement or any concrete surface, try casual or running shoes.
You can also consider walking sandals if you prefer open-toe footwear, especially when you need something to wear for fitness activities. Go for fitness walking sandals and not flip-flops.
Determine The Shoe Weight
Walking shoes can either be lightweight or heavy. The comfortable weight all depends on your arch type. As what was mentioned, each and every type of arch or pronation requires certain support and comfort. If you need a pair that will help you enhance your performance and speed, lightweight shoes will do.
On the other hand, you might need to settle on heavier shoes if you have flat feet, heavy in weight or midweight. Motion control shoes or stability shoes might be the ideal options to consider. Typically build with thick heels and dual-density midsoles, they can feel a bit heavy; it feels as if you are walking uphill.
The primary factor is your arch type, but the comfortable weight of your shoes still depends on your preference and which makes your feet happy and comfortable all the time.
Check The Toe Box
Make sure there is enough room in the toe box when you are shopping for walking shoes. If you are going to use the shoes with socks, you should try the shoes with your socks on to get the perfect fit.
Otherwise, you might end up with tight-fitting shoes and the comfort and support will definitely suffer. When you are shopping online, always refer to the sizing chart for the exact measurements.
Check The Durability
You should invest in a pair of shoes that can last for years. Every brand has its respective technology the reinforces the durability and comfort. The rigid soles and cushioning are tailored with different materials or fabrics such as mesh.
Some are able to build shoes that are waterproof which makes them more reliable for walking even when it rains or the surroundings are wet.
Choose Your Preferred Style And Design
The design and style are all up to you. There is a huge selection of shoes that you can choose from. Trustworthy brands also have a vast lineup of trendy and comfortable shoes that you can consider, especially if you aren’t sure which shoes to choose from. Running shoes, sandals, and casual shoes can also be worn as walking shoes. But no matter what design or style you opt for, comfort, support, and durability should be your utmost priority.
Wrapping It Up
Indulging in all-day comfort and support seems to be a challenge when finding the best shoes for walking on concrete and even for all types of terrain. But with careful consideration of the factors such as the ones mentioned above, it makes searching a little less hard. Just make sure you’re settling for utmost comfort and support according to your arch type and hence, be able to find what kind of walking shoes you should wear.
For men’s walking shoes, truly, there are a ton of choices to delve into. But I really liked the Skechers Performance Slip-ons because of its lightness qualities that make you feel like walking on clouds and great for casual or even long hours of walks. Those who have high arches can truly find these comfortable to wear due to its cushioning durable structure, and optimal ventilation. Not to mention they’re slip-ons, so they’re much easier to wear and perfect as shoes on-the-go!
When it comes to the list of women’s walking shoes, most of them look pretty sporty and casual. Taking their respective features into comparison truly is a tough call, but I always like something that’s easy to wear, especially for on-the-go errands. Considering the exceptional comfort, odor-control properties, and breathability, the Skechers Performance Walk 4 slip-ons took over the spot. Although it lacks support for people who need stability shoes, they could be a cool and nice treat for the feet with high arches and normal pronation.