I keep focusing on running for adults but always forget about the kids who love to run! YES, it’s highly recommended for the one young’s to run and exercise, as it comes with a ton of awesome benefits. However, you’ll obviously need to equip them with the best running shoes for kids.
Take note though, that just like choosing a pair of adult running shoes, you have to do your research beforehand. Kids also require quality running shoes made for their individual needs, not just based on what looks good. With that said, I did the research to help you out, so read on!
I’ll be talking about investing in the best running shoes for kids and my top recommendations.
- 1 5 Best Running Shoes For Boys 2019
- 1.1 1. The Well-Cushioned and Comfortable: New Balance KJ990 Running Shoes
- 1.2 2. The Engineered Mesh and Flexible: Adidas Performance Hyperfast Running Shoe
- 1.3 3. The Cool and Supportive: Adidas Kids’ CF Racer TR K Sneaker
- 1.4 4. The Lightweight and Breathable: Feetmat Kids Sneakers
- 1.5 5. The Fast and Speedy: Adidas Swift Running Shoes
- 2 5 Best Running Shoes For Girls 2019
- 2.1 1. The Colorful and Attractive: New Balance Kids FuelCore Reveal
- 2.2 2. The Cooling and Smooth: Nike Free Rn Running Shoes
- 2.3 3. The Shock-Absorbing and Durable: ASICS Kids’ Gel-Contend 4 GS Running Shoes
- 2.4 4. The Strong and Professional: ASICS Kids’ Pre-Contend 4 PS Running Shoes
- 2.5 5. The Complete and Snug: New Balance KJ990V4 Running Shoes
- 3 The Awesome Benefits of Running For Kids
- 4 How to Choose the Best Running Shoes For Kids
- 5 Great Tips For Running With Kids Successfully
- 6 Best Running Shoes For Kids: Frequently Asked Questions
- 7 Wrapping It Up
5 Best Running Shoes For Boys 2019
1. The Well-Cushioned and Comfortable: New Balance KJ990 Running Shoes
For those who are looking for the ultimate running shoes for boys, then you’ll highly appreciate what New Balance offers. The KJ990 Running Shoes have excellent support children need to help with their developing feet as they run. So not only does it look great, but it also has necessary features to make running fun for them.
It actually has the similar properties most New Balance adult running shoes own. It comes with the EVA foam midsole, an ABZORB heel cushion, as well as the snug fit that stays true to size. While it has no arch support, it does the job well done for those with neutral arches.
- Excellent padding and cushioning for comfort
- It’s supportive enough for “normal” feet
- Has reflective detail to safely run in the dark
- Comes with no arch support, not for those with flat feet
- Some parents see glue around some edges of the shoe
2. The Engineered Mesh and Flexible: Adidas Performance Hyperfast Running Shoe
I highly appreciate the Adidas Performance Hypefast Running Shoes for its adorable design and features! You can choose between a host of different colors according to what your little one wants. Besides that, the shoes are truly engineered for kid’s feet, specializing in their developing lower body with the necessary features that perform excellently.
For starters, it’s built with the engineered mesh soles and materials for extra breathability. Thanks to its soles, it’s also very lightweight and flexible, made for the hot weather and climate. For children who live in hotter climates, they’ll feel more comfortable with these shoes.
- Has an attractive design with many colors to choose from
- Engineered mesh made for kids to improve breathability
- It feels more flexible for more comfort while running
- The shoelaces aren’t elastic as advertised
- Lighter foam gets dirty easily and requires more cleaning
3. The Cool and Supportive: Adidas Kids’ CF Racer TR K Sneaker
For those who want to focus on gradually increasing your child’s speed, you’ll like the Adidas CF Racer TR K Sneakers. They’re actually quite simple and made with the typical Adidas materials and construction, so you’re assured it will last. It’s built with a rubber sole and imported textile, but what makes it unique is its cloudfoam midsole.
With the cloudfoam, it conforms to your feet shape for better comfort and to relieve pressure points well. This lessens any pain or risk of injuries as your child runs, picking up on speed without any issues.
- Made with a cloudfoam midsole for comfort and less pain
- Adequate arch support for children to prevent injuries
- Easy to clean and no hassle in maintaining
- Sizes run a bit large, need to order half a size smaller
- Materials might fray a bit after a few months
4. The Lightweight and Breathable: Feetmat Kids Sneakers
The Feetmat Kids Sneakers offer the excellent feel and support your child needs for running. Not only can they use it for running, but for other types of sports and casual use, too. Because it has plush and thick padding and good support, the shoes are comfortable enough for running, playing, or even for school.
You truly get your money’s worth with Feetmat because even if your child uses it daily and in other activities than running, it lasts. It’s durable enough to stay in shape and doesn’t wear out easily, lasting for at least a year with regular cleaning.
- Anti-slip, abrasion-resistant, and anti-twist outsole to prevent falls
- Versatile to use on any occasion, from running to casual clothes
- Convenient and easy to lace up for both parents and children
- The sizes run small, need to other one size higher
- Complaints about bad packaging, arrives in a bag, not a box
5. The Fast and Speedy: Adidas Swift Running Shoes
Another one from Adidas, the Swift Running Shoes are really made for those who focus on their speed! It’s got the lightweight properties and high-quality construction, which makes it even more long-lasting regardless of how many times you and your child run.
It’s built with the usual textile and synthetic soles, just as what most Adidas shoes are made of. It also offers the stretchy feel and extra padding, which adds to its comfort and flexibility. My child doesn’t complain and the shoes haven’t worn out, he can wear them for an entire day without complaints!
- Extra durable and can last for years despite daily use
- Thicker cushioning and stretchy material for more movement
- Regular fit and runs true to size
- The top toe area can wear out quickly if not taken care for
- Some complaints about receiving different colors
5 Best Running Shoes For Girls 2019
1. The Colorful and Attractive: New Balance Kids FuelCore Reveal
I highly appreciate the New Balance FuelCore Reveal Running Shoes for its bright and attractive design. It’s definitely one of the important factors that encouraged my little one to begin running! There are various colors to choose from according to what your child wants to wear, and they can use it for school or casual use, too.
It doesn’t have any special frills or the extreme arch support, with the shoes made for neutral arches. However, it’s still supportive enough to prevent pain and injuries, specifically around the ankles.
- Has removable inserts to accommodate orthotic inserts
- It never slips off, easy to secure and take off
- With the beautiful and attractive design, for “big kids”
- Not the best arch support but still good enough to prevent injuries
- The click mechanism of the shoe sticks out a bit
2. The Cooling and Smooth: Nike Free Rn Running Shoes
Nike is really known for its excellent athletic products, specifically their shoes. They don’t scrimp with their children’s shoes as well with the Free Rn having excellent comfort AND support. I believe it best for those who live in hotter climates as it’s made with a breathable mesh.
Besides its good ventilation, it also has Flywire cables that add to its cooling properties and snug fit. Also, it has an outsole pattern and rounded heel, which promotes natural movement with its flexibility. It’s honestly surprising that children’s shoes include all these features that keep your child’s feet developing well.
- Tri-star outsole pattern for flexibility and better strike off
- A low-profile midsole with a rounded heel for natural movement
- It’s made with a breathable mesh for better ventilation
- The sizes run very largely, need to order at least a size lower
- Laces are longer, children might find it tricky to tie
3. The Shock-Absorbing and Durable: ASICS Kids’ Gel-Contend 4 GS Running Shoes
I really commend ASICS for its excellent feel and support my child experiences with it. After all, the company’s really known for its excellent quality shoes! With the GEL-Contend, it’s built with features adults would enjoy and require, making it good for children’s developing feet.
For starters, it has the removable sock liner in case your child requires orthotics. Furthermore, it has a stitched toe cap and seamless construction from the soles to ensure durability. But what makes it most unique is its cushioning system, which really absorbs shock well to prevent any pain and improves the transition as you run.
- A fine cushioning system that attenuates shock well
- Removable sock liner for your child’s orthotic inserts
- High-quality stitching to prevent it from wearing out quickly
- The running shoes come at a very expensive price
- Sizes might run a bit bigger, need to order half a size lower
4. The Strong and Professional: ASICS Kids’ Pre-Contend 4 PS Running Shoes
What makes the ASICS Pre-Contend different from the GEL-Contend is its laces and fit. The Pre-Contend offers the snug fit that runs true to size, also having the well-designed laces. It comes with elastic laces and a hook and loop fastener, so children can learn how to tie their own laces and tighten it for better comfort and security.
Besides this, it also comes with the useful features every budding runner needs. It comes with removable sock liners in case they use orthotics, as all as the Low-Top shaft for adequate arch support.
- Excellent support for children, no pain felt while running
- Elastic laces with hook and loop fastener to easily put on or off
- Quality stitching and construction to last long
- A bit narrow for flat feet
- Sometimes makes noise on different surfaces
5. The Complete and Snug: New Balance KJ990V4 Running Shoes
And finally, I want to commend the New Balance KJ990V4 Running Shoes for its simple design. I was surprised that for a shoe that looks so “normal,” it includes all the necessary features kids and adults would need for runs.
It includes the unique Acteva lite forefoot midsole, as well as the quality shank and heel clips for more support. Besides this, it’s built with Ndurance, highly recommended for long distance runs without feeling any discomfort.
- Made for long distance runs with Ndurance foam
- Made with a rubber sole with quality parts to support feet
- Good protection with its extra depth and padding
- It’s not as breathable as other shoes
- There are complaints about the colors looking off or fade
The Awesome Benefits of Running For Kids
You’re probably wondering: Why’s it very beneficial to have your children begin running? Even I was wondering why introducing them to running AND investing in proper shoes was that important. But once I got into running with them, I noticed a ton of awesome advantages, like:
Spend Time Together
What’s great about running together is that you get to spend as much time together as a family. You can run with your kid, or even make it a family outing and have your partner and other children run together. That way, you all get to be healthy WHILE having fun as a complete family, strengthening your bond as you run.
Maintain Better Weight
Studies show that there are more children becoming obese and overweight due to poor food choices and minimal exercise. Unfortunately, the chances of your child gaining more weight are high if you leave them be with their gadgets and fast food. With that said, running can help lessen the chances of too much weight gain, keeping them healthy and fit.
Build Their Bodies
Children continue to grow the older they get, it’s one of the most crucial times for them as they physically and mentally develop. That’s why taking up an exercise like running can help strengthen their bodies and stamina, having them grow up to become powerful and athletic. Plus, they become healthier and are less inclined to get sick, as physical activity can help maintain better immune systems.
Better Mood and Growth
This is one major benefit both kids AND adults can reap when doing exercise like running! After all, there’s such a thing as the running high, which has you feel amazing during and after your running sessions. Instead of spending on gadgets or unhealthy habits for better mood, try runs that have you and your children feel happier and more confident.
Right Running Shoe Benefits
Your child can reap all the benefits of running but only with the right type of running shoes. With suitable running shoes that fit their feet and individual needs, they can reap the following benefits:
- They have more support for their feet to prevent any usual pain and injuries from runs
- They maintain better posture and feel more comfortable with the shoes’ padding and breathable material
- The running shoes will last for longer times and don’t wear out easily so they can enjoy runs without the worry of breaking their shoes
How to Choose the Best Running Shoes For Kids
Now that you’re familiar with the different benefits of running and why you should choose the right shoes for your kids, how can you find the suitable pair they need? There are many factors to consider when doing so, such as:
Good Size and Weight
Make sure that your child’s feet and that you know what their foot size is. This ensures a snug fit and prevents discomfort from tightness or from the shoes loosening. Look into shoe reviews to see if you have to get a shoe size higher or lower.
Besides this, you have to care for the shoe’s weight as well. I recommend that you get something lightweight for more comfort and faster runs.
What Arch Support?
Usually, your children won’t need any form off arch support, having neutral arches. However, if they have flat feet, they’ll most likely need better arch support with motion control or more stability. High arches require more cushioning to keep their feet from injuries.
You can check what kind of arch height they have from the wet feet test. Or, you can take them to their doctor to examine what else they need in a shoe.
Comfort and Soft Padding
You should focus on your child’s comfort, too! With that said, ensure that the running shoes you choose have better cushioning and padding to absorb shock. This prevents any injury and keeps your child’s feet free from discomfort as they run on hard terrains.
Focus on breathability as well, especially if you plan to run during hot days! It should be made with well-ventilated mesh to keep feet cool.
Responsive Cushioning For Speed
If your child likes to sprint or focuses on speed, then they’ll need responsive foam and cushioning. They need to had a snug fit and lightweight feel so they can run long distances AND have faster times because of it.
Besides that, the material should have better quality to ensure durability for even more runs to come. I also recommend you get running shoes with strong traction on its outer soles for a stronger grip to prevent slippage. You may need to shell out a bit more, but it’s worth it compared to constantly replacing running shoes.
Better Flexibility For Posture
If your child has neutral arches and doesn’t need stability or motion control shoes, look into flexibility. This allows your child to run more naturally, enhancing their posture and technique. It also allows them to make their growing muscles on their feet stronger.
Great Tips For Running With Kids Successfully
Now that you’re familiar about the best running shoes for kids, learn more about how to run with young ones:
- I highly recommend that you begin with technique in mind rather than huge long-term goals. You’re running with children, not with adults who have stronger bodies and better stamina. Instead, teach them the right breathing techniques and proper form to prevent pain and injuries from happening
- If you just began running together, start off with short and slow paces rather than long distances or sprints. Go at a speed that your children can still converse in and work your way up there SLOWLY. Base the increase of intensity on the training plan you set and what works well for your kid
- Set appropriate goals which your children can achieve to encourage them in continuing runs. For example, set a goal to run up and down bleachers rather than huge goals like running a marathon. This lessens their stress and pressure while making running enjoyable as they accomplish goals
- It’s not just about running together, but to hone their skills in the sport. Allow your kids to see the bigger picture in running, from joining clubs down to volunteering for marathons. That way, it inspires them to keep running for their passion and a good cause, while making friends along the way
Besides these tips, check out this video on more tips o improve your kid’s running form:
Best Running Shoes For Kids: Frequently Asked Questions
Check out these five frequently asked questions many parents ask when it comes to investing in their kids’ running shoes:
1. Can children wear normal shoes, boots, or sandals for running?
While it’s possible to use other types of shoes for running, it’s definitely not recommended as they have NO support. It’s best that you use shoes made for running, as they’re engineered to withstand intense runs without pain. Furthermore, they also have a longer lifespan for long distances and speed runs as opposed to “normal” footwear.
Like us adults, children should use “normal” footwear in casual settings only to prevent any injuries as they run. Plus, running shoes are more comfortable and will provide them the snug fit they need to continue running properly.
2. Can they use running shoes for other athletic sports?
There are actually different types of athletic shoes made for certain types of sports, which kids can use, too. While it’s okay to use running shoes for other sports, it may slightly affect their performance in the other sport because it doesn’t provide as much comfort compared to when it’s used while running.
Furthermore, the lifespan of these running shoes might shorten because your child’s using it for other things besides running. I recommend that you get your children shoes suitable for their sport if they do more other than run.
3. How can I encourage my kid to begin running?
Sometimes, children won’t want to run, which is why there are ways you can encourage them. Try to reward them with things they love, or to consider it as bonding time every week. Make running fun as well, not to let them see it as a punishment!
When you do have a chance to begin your first run with kids, make sure you look like you’re enjoying the activity. This has them enjoy as well, encouraged to continue the next ones to come.
4. How old should children be to begin running?
There isn’t a set age as to when children can begin running, though I highly recommend that you start when they’re older than seven years old. That way, their bodies have become a bit stronger and they have more understanding of the proper running technique.
You should also consider the distance ran according to their age. These are the maximum distances I recommend children should run based on how old they are:
- Under 9 years old: 3 kilometers
- 9-11 years old: 5 kilometers
- 12-14 years old: 10 kilometers
- 15-16 years old and above: Half marathons
5. What if my child experiences pain from runs?
If your child ever experiences pain during a run, it’s best to stop and take a break. You might need to go home or to had it checked by their doctor in case the pain continues.
However, discomfort or workout burn is normal and if experienced, should be treated with a cold compress on the pained area. Make sure they rest every other day to replenish their muscles and energy!
Wrapping It Up
With the right type of running shoes for kids, it’ll definitely encourage them to continue the sport. Not only is it a great way for them to exercise, but they get a ton of health benefits and spend time with you, too! It’s definitely better compared to sitting at home all day playing video games.
After much research, I see that the New Balance KJ990 Running Shoes are best for the big boys! What makes this an awesome choice is its strength and good support, which can also be made for running. It’s got the good cushioning and EVA foam for comfort, so your kids can run all they want without their feet getting hurt.
As for the girls, they’ll love the New Balance Kids FuelCore Reveal for its cute colors. Even I love its rainbow pattern and the soft feel, so I know they’re comfortable as they walk around. It’s made with the quality materials to last AND it’s easy to clean if ever they get rowdy!
I hope my article on the best running shoes for kids helped you out! So don’t wait any longer and look into getting the best one for your child now.
If you have any questions or want to share your child’s experiences with these running shoes, then comment below. Your thoughts are much appreciated!