After years of running, I realized how important it was to wear the RIGHT type of shoes. Not only that, but the brand also played a role in getting quality running shoes, since you’re assured quality and a consistent fit. One of the running shoe brands I highly recommend is New Balance, known for its many athletic and casual shoes for decades!
But with their many running shoe models available for both men and women, which one is the most suitable for YOU? I tested their top shoes and put my expert advice here to show you the best New Balance running shoes and more information about them!
- 1 6 Best New Balance Running Shoes for Men
- 1.1 1. The Breathable and Rugged: New Balance Mx608v4 Running Shoes
- 1.2 2. The Supportive and Durable: New Balance 990v4 Running Shoes
- 1.3 3. The Comfortable and Good Feel: New Balance Cruz V2 Running Shoes
- 1.4 4. The Simple Yet Effective: New Balance Propel V1 FuelCell Running Shoes
- 1.5 5. The Tough and Bootie Construction: New Balance Hierro V4 Trail Running Shoes
- 1.6 6. The Flexible and Cool Design: New Balance 1080v10 Running Shoes
- 2 6 Best New Balance Running Shoes for Women
- 2.1 1. The Versatile and Well-Ventilated: New Balance Fresh Foam Arishi V1 Running Shoes
- 2.2 2. The Cushioning and Strong: New Balance WT410v5 Running Shoes
- 2.3 3. The Bright and Dual-Density: New Balance W1540v2 Running Shoes
- 2.4 4. The Conforming and Well-Constructed: New Balance Fresh Foam 1080v7 Running Shoes
- 2.5 5. The Lightweight and Stylish: New Balance Veniz V1 Running Shoes
- 2.6 6. The Athletic and Good Fit: New Balance 680v6 Running Shoes
- 3 About New Balance Shoes
- 4 The Benefits of New Balance Running Shoes
- 5 How to Choose the Best New Balance Running Shoes
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions: New Balance Running Shoes
- 7 Wrapping It Up
6 Best New Balance Running Shoes for Men
1. The Breathable and Rugged: New Balance Mx608v4 Running Shoes
The New Balance Mx608v4 is my top choice because of its combination affordability and purpose. It’s made for those on a budget but still want to ensure the rugged design that’s built to last. Not only that, but I appreciate its tough look, which I know a lot of guys like me would appreciate!
This isn’t the most professional running shoe but made for trainings and intense running sessions with its breathability and EVA footbed. It offers the right amount of cushioning, though you’ll need to be wary about its support. I highly recommend it for those who want something affordable and who have neutral feet.
- Simple and affordable with cool designs to choose from
- Rugged construction and made to last for long
- Generally comfortable for training and walks
- Made only for neutral feet, as it may not provide enough support
- The shoe runs large, you need to order a size smaller
2. The Supportive and Durable: New Balance 990v4 Running Shoes
If you’re focusing on something more durable, then you’ll love the New Balance 990v4. It’s made with 100% genuine leather and textile materials, along with quality construction to ensure its durability. It also has the breathable mesh upper to help keep your feet cool as you run.
As for its support, it has the supportive leather overlays and features an ENCAP PU ring and EVA foam by the heel. Meaning, it’s made best for those who make an impact from heel-to-toe. However, it still works great for most road or track runners, molding to your feet’s movement.
- Offers great ankle support and flexibility for lateral and rolls
- Made for speed and won’t tire your feet out
- Breathable mesh for cool feet all throughout your runs
- It’s a bit expensive but offers good features for its price
- The insoles aren’t the most quality, best to replace them
3. The Comfortable and Good Feel: New Balance Cruz V2 Running Shoes
I really love the New Balance Cruz V2 because of how comfortable and feel. It features the Fresh Foam sole, making it even softer and lighter than other typical running shoes. As a result, it can treat typical foot pain from running or when putting intense pressure on your feet.
Because of its cushioning and comfort, I like using it for more than just long-distance runs. They work great for walking or when standing long hours as well, supporting your feet and keeping them away from too much pressure. While it isn’t the most durable, I still believe it to be a sound investment.
- Offers both soft cushioning and support for long distances
- Lightweight and great for speed and pressure
- Breathable and keeps your feet cool during hot days
- It’s a bit difficult to put on because of its small opening
- Some complaints of the sole coming loose after a few months
4. The Simple Yet Effective: New Balance Propel V1 FuelCell Running Shoes
While the New Balance Propel V1 running shoe looks simple, it offers an abundance of features for speedy runners! I love that it comes in a variety of bright colors to remain visible, and also for style. Besides this, it’s built with the unique FuelCell formulation, offering better spring and the responsiveness runners need to beat records.
The shoe is designed with fiber upper and lightweight outsoles, which feature NDurance technology to help improve your speed without feeling too heavy. I love its cushioning and how it slips in my feet well, so I can run faster and longer with ease.
- High-quality outsole with a lot of grips to keep your feet stable
- Cool and bright designs to choose from for style
- Great for fast and long-distance runners, feels extra comfy
- Tall sides which can rub on your ankles need longer socks
- The upper may feel a bit loose for some runners
5. The Tough and Bootie Construction: New Balance Hierro V4 Trail Running Shoes
If you’re the tough runner who wants to go beyond roads, then the New Balance Hierro V4 Trail running shoe is for you. It’s built for trail runners who want to go everywhere without the trouble of pain and discomfort. So whether you’re running on sharp rocks, muddy trails, or whatnot, these shoes will hold grip and prevent injuries compared to the typical road running shoes.
It can help with traction and strength because of its bootie construction. Furthermore, the fresh foam and Vibram outsole ensures both comfort and support no matter how long you run for outside the road!
- The shoes stay true to size and fit like a glove
- Well-ventilated and stays cool no matter how hot it gets
- Extra support and amazing traction for the trails
- A bit difficult to slip on especially if you have large fingers
- Sock collar won’t stretch out, making it hard to slip on
6. The Flexible and Cool Design: New Balance 1080v10 Running Shoes
If you’re looking for a pair of shoes with flexible and comfortable collars, then you’ll like the New Balance 1080v10. I like that it offers better ankle motion at the padded tongue and ankle grooves without compromising its feel.
Besides this, the shoe also offers the Fresh Foam to conform to the way your feet naturally move as you run. Its soles are also flexible and can offer more flexibility when you make an impact regardless of what running style you have. They may feel a bit tight on the top of your feet if you have a wider width, but beyond that, there are no major issues.
- A neutral shoe design that can be used by flat-footed runners
- Fresh foam and soft soles for extra comfort
- More responsive and flexible for many types of runs
- The wide version still feels a bit tight around the top of your feet
- There isn’t a lot of arch support if you have overpronation
6 Best New Balance Running Shoes for Women
1. The Versatile and Well-Ventilated: New Balance Fresh Foam Arishi V1 Running Shoes
What makes the New Balance Arishi V1 running shoe my editor’s choice is, again, its affordability and abundance of color designs to choose from. It also offers great features, such as the comfortable Fresh Foam technology, as well as its NB Response Performance Insert. That way, you’ve ensured enough support and more comfort for your feet as you run.
Besides this, the shoe is also made with no-sew material, so it’s more durable and lightweight. With its lightweight material and adequate cushioning, you can use it for both running and walking.
- The sizes are accurate, fits snugly and without any sizing issues
- Lightweight and with performance inserts for speed
- Ample cushioning that conforms to your feet as you run
- Great for those who suffer from bunions, won’t pressure your feet
- Might not offer enough support for long-distance or speed runs
- Requires extra orthotic inserts if you have over or under pronation
2. The Cushioning and Strong: New Balance WT410v5 Running Shoes
If you want something strong but soft on the inside, the New Balance WT410v5 offers you the best of both worlds. It features the Active midsole and AT Tread outsole, as well as the NB Response 2.0 Performance Insert. With all these features in mind, you’ve got the versatile shoes made for just about any trail or road.
Not only is it strong and durable for any surface, but it feels comfortable and supportive as well, providing cushioning to keep your feet away from the usual pain. Built with tough and quality materials, I can see these shoes lasting for a long time.
- Made with excellent materials to last for many types of runs
- Versatile and made for all terrains and feet types
- Breathable mesh and keeps feet cool and well-ventilated
- Toe area is narrower than others, can be a pain for wide feet
- Need a bit of time for the shoes to break-in
3. The Bright and Dual-Density: New Balance W1540v2 Running Shoes
I love the bright design of the New Balance W1540v2 running shoes, which is simple yet stylish. They look great to use for both walking and running, and I sometimes use it for work as well. Even when standing or on my feet for hours, my feet still feel great and I don’t come home with blisters!
As for running, it performs spectacularly. It has an ENCAP midsole and soft cushioning, as well as a ROLLBAR posting system for extra flexibility. Because of that, it’s great for those with plantar fasciitis, or those who need the extra support!
- Offers comfort for long runs or when on your feet all-day
- Extra support for plantar fasciitis and prevents injuries
- EVA cushioning that conforms to your feet for extra comfort
- The sizes run a bit small, need to order a size larger
- Some say the upper shoe is shallower than the previous version
4. The Conforming and Well-Constructed: New Balance Fresh Foam 1080v7 Running Shoes
The New Balance 1080v7 running shoes caught my eye because of its colorful design, which surely catches eyes! This is a professional athlete’s shoe, offering the 8mm drop and ample arch support for most runners. If you require orthotics, you have a removable insert to accommodate your needs.
I also love that it doesn’t need breaking in and you can begin running with it and see results! There is enough support to it and I felt NO pain during and after runs. There are some sizing issues, but other than that, these shoes are a great choice for most wide-footed runners looking for more support.
- Amazing cushioning for extra comfort for long runs and walks
- Vivid colors and design for style, as well as breathable mesh
- No need to break-in, you can begin running immediately
- Sizes run large and the toe box is a bit loose, not great for narrow feet
- Some complaints of blisters from its looseness
5. The Lightweight and Stylish: New Balance Veniz V1 Running Shoes
If you’re looking for something stylish and made for both walking and running, the New Balance Veniz V1 is a great option. It’s not flashy but offers the simplicity to use for casual use or to exercise with. I like it because, for a running shoe, it’s extremely affordable yet offers features like the NB Response 2.0 Performance Insert.
When I tried it on, I felt how lightweight and comfortable it was, feeling as if I were lightning! I can run faster with these and focus more on my form than worrying about my feet.
- Very lightweight with good cushioning to stay comfortable
- Great for lifestyle or fast runs, has performance inserts
- They start true to size and fit snugly with thin socks
- Not the best for long runs or high-intensity training sessions
- It won’t be able to provide enough support for high arches
6. The Athletic and Good Fit: New Balance 680v6 Running Shoes
Last but not least, I commend the New Balance 680v6 running shoe for its excellent fit and cushioning. It’s made for neutral runners and professional athletes alike for its construction, especially with its breathable make. However, make sure that you purchase it a size larger!
These running shoes provide ample cushioning made with ABZORB, ensuring that you have better energy return and prevent pain from forceful impact. Besides this, it also offers ACTEVA technology, which supports your feet without extra weight. As a result, you feel like you’re walking on air and have a smooth stride every time, making it worth the investment.
- Very comfortable with extra cushioning and responsive foam
- Technologies to ensure lightweight shoes with smooth strides
- You stay comfortable no matter how fast or long you run for
- The shoes run small, you need to order a size larger
- Some complaints of show arch being a bit off from their own foot arch
About New Balance Shoes
Before I get into more details of New Balance, I first want to show you what New Balance is all about.
This company starts out small, with William J. Riley being the brainchild of it all. However, it wasn’t only until 30 years AFTER their founding that they started making shoes! Beginning as a small arch support business, they began expanding to shoes, shifting its focus to athletic sneakers in 1960.
The company became famous for their shoes once they released the Trackster, the first athletic shoe featuring a ripple sole. After that, word spread and they grew in popularity, especially among track stars and runners.
Today, New Balance is now a worldwide brand for athletes everywhere. Not only do they create running shoes and supports, but they have specialty sneakers made for any sport. 30% of their products are manufactured in England, though most of it is made in the United States, specifically in Massachusetts and Maine.
If you want to learn more about New Balance, check out this informative video:
The Benefits of New Balance Running Shoes
New Balance is indeed a reputable company, but beyond its name, why is it so beneficial? Here are some reasons why you should consider investing in New Balance for your runs:
1. Amazing Engineering
Throughout the years, New Balance has had the philosophy of manufacturing the best running shoes. They don’t break their promises and ensure one engineering with groundbreaking models such as ENCAP technology.
Their shoes feature EVA foam in its midsoles and with polyurethane shells, which increase its durability and bounce the more you run. It adds springiness, which is what many athletes love!
2. Fresher Takes on Runs
New Balance still continues to innovate with its new models of shoes, ensuring that each one is better than the last. They do this by offering Fresh Foam, light and bouncy foam which offers excellent cushioning without the heavyweight. They also offer FuelCell, which is TPU foam to provide excellent energy return and bounce for quickness.
3. Offers Unique Characteristics
New Balance’s unique characteristics and features are what make it shine above many brands. They offer what all runners need, whether it’s comfort, support, lightweight, energy return, or all at the same time! This keeps their customer satisfaction up, a reason why they’re one of the top running shoe brands worldwide.
4. Where Is It Made From?
Most of New Balance’s competitors would manufacture their products offshore. With New Balance, they craft the majority of their running shoes within the United States. That way, you have ensured running shoes made with quality materials and labor.
No need to worry about it being made in other countries, which adds to shipment and with a heightened risk of low-quality materials and/or labor.
5. Wide Variety to Choose From
New Balance is the only brand to create shoes with a wide variety of widths. Besides this, the company has created a name for themselves in creating shoes featuring softer soles, appealing to long-distance runners.
There are even more running shoes to choose from depending on the way you run and the individual needs of your feet. There are shoes for better stability, for the trail, better cushioning, and with newer technologies for control and versatility.
How to Choose the Best New Balance Running Shoes
Just because New Balance is beneficial doesn’t mean you should get the first one you see! You need to make sure you do thorough research on the type of New Balance running shoe you need made especially for your feet. To help narrow down your choices, here are some important factors to consider:
1. What’s Your Arch Type?
You can figure out your arch type by examining your wet footprint on a piece of paper.
- If you see a narrow band that connects to your forefoot and heel, you have a high arch. This means you’ll need cushioning shoes for more flexibility
- If you see half your arch in your footprint, you have a normal or neutral arch. This requires stability or cushioning shoes
- If you see your entire midfoot area, then you have a low arch or flat feet, which requires motion control shoes. This is also helpful for those who have excessive pronation
2. What’s Your Running Profile and Style?
Know what you’ll be doing with your running shoes. Will you be running with speed, or slow jogging? How many miles do you plan to run weekly and do you plan to run on a treadmill, the road, or the trail?
This will help you figure out what kind of sole and shoe construction you need, as some specialized running shoes are made for certain surfaces, miles, and speed.
Besides this, you should also identify your running style, meaning how your feet make an impact on the ground. You’ll need a lot of cushion in the area you make the initial point of contact, which is either on the forefoot, midfoot, or from your heels.
3. Get the Correct Fit
Of course, you’ll need the right fit of running shoes, as if it doesn’t fit right, then it can be uncomfortable and lead to injury!
When trying on your running shoes, it should wrap around your feet comfortably. It shouldn’t pinch or feel too loose, only having a LITTLE bit of wiggle room, as your feet would spread while running. Besides this, you should also consider your foot shape, whether you have narrow, normal, or wide feet width.
If you’re shopping online, check out customer reviews to see if your chosen shoe model runs big or small.
4. Learn the Running Shoe Anatomy
You have to study the parts of the shoe as well, which are:
- Shoe upper, which is supposed to be smooth and shaped like your foot
- The ankle collar, which should be comfortable around your side of your ankles
- The heel counter, which should allow good ankle motion
- Toe boxes should allow your feet to spread naturally
- Outsoles should have durability and traction without adding too much stiffness or weight
- The toe spring and flex grooves should allow more flexibility and let your feet move the way it naturally does
- Your midsole should have the right amount of thickness, not too soft and firm and without too much weight
- Heel cushioning depends on your arch type and forefoot cushioning depends on how you push-off and your feet’s impact
Frequently Asked Questions: New Balance Running Shoes
Now that you know the benefits of New Balance running shoes and how to choose one, what else do you need to know about the shoes? Here are some frequently asked questions many users wonder about:
1. How can I clean my New Balance running shoes?
This is the best way to clean your running shoes, as suggested by New Balance:
- Using a light bristle brush or old toothbrush with mild detergent, scrub your shoes. Then use a damp cloth and wipe it clean
- Allow your shoes to air dry for 24 hours before using it again
- If you need to eliminate any odors, use a reputable shoe deodorizer spray
- Do NOT play your shoes in a washing machine or dryer, it shouldn’t be submerged in water or exposed to extreme heat
- If your shoes are extremely dirty, hand wash it and give it a good scrub with a wet and soapy brush. Only focus on particularly dirty areas and run it over the water quickly, avoid overwashing it to prevent it from breaking down prematurely
2. How long do these running shoes last for?
New Balance takes pride in its durable shoes and tough construction. With that said, their shoes can last between 300-500 miles, which is about a year or two, depending on how many miles you run a week. You’ll also be able to know if your shoes require replacement if they start to look worn down or if they aren’t as comfortable or supportive as they were before.
3. Can I use these running shoes for walking?
As the name suggests, running shoes are made for runners, but can you also try it for walking?
It depends on how fast you walk! If you’re a brisk walker, then you can use running shoes, which have good flexibility and can offer better energy return. These are great especially if you’re aiming for longer distances since walking shoes won’t have enough flexibility for it. Walking shoes are great for short distances and regular walking speeds, as they offer more cushioning and comfort.
So it’s fine to use New Balance running shoes for walking. Plus, you can still use it for running, making it versatile and worth your investment!
4. What do the running shoe model numbers mean for New Balance?
The style or model number is New Balance’s naming system, though it doesn’t mean that the higher the number, the more technology it has! Here are the meanings of the numbers:
- 40 refers to optimal control, offering stability, support, and cushioning for pronation or low arches
- 50 refers to fitness running, best for the roads or on treadmills. They have responsiveness to power athletes
- 60 refers to stability, reducing pronation while still providing comfort with cushioning
- 70 refers to higher stability for speed, having a lightweight profile if you want to go faster
- 80 refers to neutral shoes, if you want something lightweight and with good cushioning. It’s best for high-mileage runners
- 90 refers to speed if you want to run even quicker with the comfortable ride, made for distance runners or professional athletes
Wrapping It Up
If you’re running, you need to take into account the shoes you wear to take care of your feet. With the right brand such as New Balance, you won’t have to worry about pain or discomfort, you can focus more on your form and reaching records!
Of all the different New Balance running shoes for men, the best one goes to the Mx608v4. Not only does it have the rugged look men would love, but also the tough construction that’s made to last for a few hundred miles. It also has a low-top design and padded mesh tongue, making it a breathable and versatile shoe for trails and roads.
As for the women, the New Balance Fresh Foam Arishi is my top choice for its comfortable low-top design and its fresh foam sole, adding to its plushness your feet will appreciate when it makes an impact to the ground. Plus, it has a Response Performance insert, making it conform to your individual foot shape!
I hope my list and advice on the best New Balance running shoes gave you an idea of what your feet deserve! So don’t wait any longer and use my advice and reviews to get the best running shoes for your future sessions.
Do you have any questions or want to share your tips and experience son any of these New Balance running shoes? Then do share your comments down below, I’d love to hear what you have to think.