When I began long distance running, I knew I had to make some changes, particularly with my shoes. I needed the best long distance running shoes which can withstand more miles without it wearing out. While my old shoes perform well, it was made best for quick sprints and I knew it wouldn’t last for as long.
That’s why I began doing the research and tests, surprising myself with how strong some shoes can be! So if you’re wondering what type of shoes to get for more distance, read on! I show you the comfiest ones that are built for hundreds of miles ahead.
- 1 6 Best Long Distance Running Shoes for Men 2019
- 1.1 1. The Versatile and Lightweight: Nike Revolution 4 Running Shoes
- 1.2 2. The Strong and Rugged: Brooks Ghost 10 Running Shoes
- 1.3 3. The Simple and Advanced Technology: ASICS Gel-Kayano 24 Running Shoes
- 1.4 4. The Responsive and Comfortable: ASICS GEL-Nimbus 20 Running Shoes
- 1.5 5. The Well-Cushioned and Breathable: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 Running Shoes
- 1.6 6. The Good Fit and Flexible: Saucony Ride 10 Running Shoes
- 2 6 Best Long Distance Running Shoes for Women 2019
- 2.1 1. The Bright and Excellent Construction: Brooks Ghost 11 Running Shoes
- 2.2 2. The Stable and Pressure-Relieving: Mizuno Wave Inspire 14 Running Shoes
- 2.3 3. The Tough and Robust: New Balance Leadville V3 Running Shoes
- 2.4 4. The Well-Ventilated and Supportive: Saucony Guide 10 Running Shoes
- 2.5 5. The Soft and Quick: Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Running Shoes
- 2.6 6. The Durable and Long-Lasting: Saucony Ride ISO Running Shoes
- 3 Why Go Long Distance Running?
- 4 The Importance Of the Right Running Shoes
- 5 How to Choose the Best Long Distance Running Shoes
- 6 Tips on Long Distance Running and Shoe Care
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions: Long Distance Running Shoes
- 8 Wrapping It Up
6 Best Long Distance Running Shoes for Men 2019
1. The Versatile and Lightweight: Nike Revolution 4 Running Shoes
The Nike Revolution 4 is the best men’s running who for long distance running for its combination of all necessary features. I love that it’s a lightweight shoe to make it even more comfortable AND with the single-layer mesh for better breathability and ventilation. This makes it suitable to run on hot days, as it has the balance of cushioning and thinner layers.
These shoes are built for performance and athleticism, having the responsive cushioning and the molded pods for most terrains. It feels extremely comfortable even when running for long, and I expect nothing less from a Nike!
- Running shoes made for athletes and best performance
- Offers the better cushioning for response and smooth feel
- Single-layer mesh upper to promote breathability
- Minimalist design with better traction for long runs
- Only two colors to choose from
- The shoes make loud, squeaky noises
2. The Strong and Rugged: Brooks Ghost 10 Running Shoes
The Brooks Ghost 10 is best known for its rugged design, which looks just as strong as its build. You can choose between many attractive colors to match your attire, also boosting your confidence as you run. But its main feature is its cushioning, offering just enough of it to make the run feel better as you continue.
I didn’t even realize how long I was running for, focusing more on how great the shoes felt and the smoothness of each step! Besides this, it’s the strength built to last that also makes it a worthy purchase, I can see this lasting for a few hundred miles without issue.
- Excellent cushioning and keeps you comfortable
- Smooth ride each time, feels like you’re on a cloud
- Amazing strength and construction to last long
- Complaints of heel material pilling over time
- Toe box tapers a bit more than preferred
3. The Simple and Advanced Technology: ASICS Gel-Kayano 24 Running Shoes
ASICS is really well known for their excellent quality shoes in many cool designs, with the Gel-Kayano 24 being no exception. I can see that this is worth the investment, having the many features and latest technologies only ASICS has to offer.
For starters, it comes with an Impact Guidance System for improved support, as well as the FlyteFoam and Fluid Ride Midsole, which provides the combination of comfortable bounce back and the reduced weight. As for its upper, it’s stretch and fits just right, adapting to my foot size and shape! I love everything about it, I just wish its durability was a bit better.
- Offers the latest technology insoles for a better bounce back
- Stays true to size and upper would conform to your shape
- Helps relieve severe heel pain for long runs
- Not the most durable ASICS running shoes
- It’s not as supportive for plantar fasciitis
4. The Responsive and Comfortable: ASICS GEL-Nimbus 20 Running Shoes
Another excellent choice goes out to the ASICS GEL-Nimbus 20, which I recommend for its midsoles. It has the FlyteFoam and FluidRide midsole technologies, which provide amazing cushioning with smoother bounce back and responsiveness regardless of where you run. Besides this, it’s one of the most durable running shoes out there, taking the wear and tear even on the toughest terrains.
I appreciate it for its combination of strength and comfort, and if you don’t have any issues in terms of support, you’ll enjoy the feel of the shoe. I see it built to last and can give you comfort even during the longest of runs.
- Soft and quality midsole technologies for smoother runs
- Excellent durability to last for hundreds of miles
- Attractive design with many colors to choose from
- May be too stiff and unsupportive for some
- The toe box is too narrow or tight for wide feet
5. The Well-Cushioned and Breathable: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 Running Shoes
I like the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 and recommend it for those who live in extremely hot areas. This is because it has better ventilation and breathability on its upper mesh. It has the thin upper mesh layer that still feels comfortable but improves the ventilation around your feet, keeping it cool all throughout the run.
Furthermore, it has soft cushioning, keeping my feet comfortable no matter how long the run can get. However, take note that it has lessened support, which may not be the best for those with plantar fasciitis or require high arch support.
- Extremely soft cushioning for comfort in long runs
- Well-ventilated with a breathable upper mesh layer
- Nice design with many colors to choose from
- Shoes lack support, not best for those with feet conditions
- Complaints of durability may be susceptible to holes
6. The Good Fit and Flexible: Saucony Ride 10 Running Shoes
If you’re focusing more on better fit and flexibility built for most feet, then the Saucony Rid 10 is for you. It’s got the simple and lightweight design that can be used for sprints but is best used for distance running because of its amazing strength and flexibility that conforms to your feet.
It offers the mix of both protection and flexibility built for the track and road, thanks to its TRI-FLEX outsole. Furthermore, it has the quality EVERUN top sole unique to Saucony, providing the comfortable cushioning to last and keep you feeling amazing throughout the entire run.
- Engineered mesh upper that offers the conforming fit
- Unique top sole and outsole for better flexibility and cushioning
- It’s very comfortable and can last for long runs
- There are some issues with heel slipping
- Might have a hole after running at least 100 miles
6 Best Long Distance Running Shoes for Women 2019
1. The Bright and Excellent Construction: Brooks Ghost 11 Running Shoes
The Brooks Ghost 11 is the best on my list for various reasons. But the best feature it has to offer is the fact that it comes with the lightweight yet durable construction made to last. The shoes are also known to have the extra soft cushioning and the secure fit with its flexible mesh upper, which I tested and found very effective!
Besides this, it also has the crash pads, which adds to the responsiveness and bounce back that makes the shoes a delight to run with no matter how far and for how long.
- Offers a smooth and stable ride with Segmented Crash Pad
- Soft and balance cushioning with responsiveness
- Lightweight construction for long and comfortable runs
- Toe box area is a bit too small for some
- Shoe sizes run small, best to order a size up
2. The Stable and Pressure-Relieving: Mizuno Wave Inspire 14 Running Shoes
When you want to focus on support and pressure relief, the Mizuno Wave Inspire 14 is the right choice for you. It offers amazing support with its Cloudwave, having the soft feel that’s lightweight yet stable. Besides this, it has the fit in motion upper which offers more flexible support, giving you the balance of stability with more freedom of motion.
Testing it out was pretty fun, and I had no trouble with these Mizunos. They do require breaking in, but other than that, I have no huge complaints and see that these are really built to last.
- Shoes stay true to size and fit perfectly for anyone
- Has a great balance of flexibility and stability for comfort
- Excellent support to relieve pressure and prevent pain
- Requires a few days to break in
- It might feel too soft for some runners
3. The Tough and Robust: New Balance Leadville V3 Running Shoes
The New Balance Leadville V3 is made for any road, even the toughest of trails. It’s meant for strong long-distance runners who just want adventure and to run anywhere they go. From the road to the tracks, the treadmill to the trails, this offers the tough traction and grip that makes running safely while protecting your feet.
It’s the robustness I love most about it because it can withstand anything and still stay strong. For its simplicity with its extremely solid construction, I believe it to be worth the price.
- Trail running shoes also meant for any terrain and weather
- Has toe bumper, gusset tongue, and padded collar for comfort
- Amazing strength and durability to last for at least 500 miles
- There are only two colors to choose from
- Some complaints of shins feeling a bit tight
4. The Well-Ventilated and Supportive: Saucony Guide 10 Running Shoes
If there are two things I need in a long distance running shoe, it’s breathability and support. The Saucony Guide 10 passes in both features, offering the breathable mesh upper with light stability to ensure support as you run for long periods. The mesh upper isn’t only breathable but also has the EVERUN top sole for a dynamic fit and softer cushioning.
The bright shoes are also beautiful to wear, made for long runs AND other casual or work uses, making them versatile without the pain or pressure one would usually feel from other shoes.
- Offers light stability and extra support for the protection
- No pain felt even after long runs or intense work
- Cool and bright design with reflectors to run at night
- The toe box is a bit short and sizes run small
- Complaints of getting holes on shoe top
5. The Soft and Quick: Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Running Shoes
I will be partial to Nike when it comes to their shoes, as they almost always deliver with their apparel and products. The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus is no exception here, having the beautiful and light look with the necessary features that make it so enjoyable to run with!
For starters, it has the Flymesh upper construction and the fit sole sock liner, conforming to the shape of your feet while adding support and breathability. As for its cushioning, it uses the premium Cushlon ST foam for a soft feel, which can last for at least 500 miles or more!
- Extremely soft yet still offers good support
- Upper and sock liner conforms to the foot shape
- Flymesh upper for better breathability
- Sizes run too small, need to order a size up
- The tongue is stitched to shoe’s sides, can’t widen the opening
6. The Durable and Long-Lasting: Saucony Ride ISO Running Shoes
I highly recommend the Saucony Ride ISO Running Shoes for women, best known for its smooth feel as you continue to run long distances. I also love its attractive design with many colors to choose from, looking great for professional workouts AND casual use. Just like the Saucony Ride 10, it also provides the technology that conforms to your individual foot shape and size.
This is thanks to the ISOFIT and FORMFIT technologies only Saucony has, which allows the shoes to adapt to your personalized fit. It also comes with the EVERUN and PWRDOAM cushioning to absorb impact and energy well, making it comfortable all throughout longer runs.
- Uses unique technologies to provide a personalized fit
- Excellent shock absorption and energy return
- Attractive designs with many colors to choose from
- Not as supportive compared to other shoes
- The tongue pulls the shoe too snugly
Why Go Long Distance Running?
Before I get into choosing the right shoes and its importance, the first thing to answer is: Why go long distance running in the first place? As someone with little patience and stamina, I always found marathons and hours of running SO difficult. However, I learned that it had so many benefits to offer, such as:
When running for longer periods, you develop better aerobic endurance, meaning your body won’t have to work as hard to maintain optimum performance levels. Longer runs can also strengthen our hearts, opening its capillaries to send more energy to our muscles to keep up with the workout.
More Muscle Power
As you run longer, your body utilizes fast-twitch muscles fibers that help with slow-twitch tasks (long distance running). Because of this, your body has more muscle fibers trained that help you finish your long run. Also, since it opens up capillaries, it can also flush waste from your fatigued muscles.
Use Fat As Your Fuel Source
Your long runs would train the body to use fat as the main energy source once your carbohydrates are depleted. Because of this, your stored carbs last longer, providing you more energy and also help you in weight loss. After all, running burns a LOT of calories!
Build Your Mental Strength
Besides it building the physical parts of your body like endurance and strength, long runs can also work with your mentality. It works on improving your focus and also giving you the mental strength to encourage you to keep going. It also builds confidence as a runner, having you surpass any challenges and marathons.
The Importance Of the Right Running Shoes
With long-distance running, you have to make sure that you equip yourself. Not only should you be mentally prepared, but physical as well, with the right apparel. But why are shoes so important and how come you shouldn’t use just any pair?
Spending money on the right shoes is crucial as it provides the following advantages:
Strength and Durability to Last Long
Long distance running requires shoes that CAN withstand the longer running workout, which can last for hours on end. Because of that, it’s important getting the quality shoes with stable construction and solid build that makes it last without it wearing out during or after your run. You get what you pay for with shoes that can last for a long time filled with of distance runs.
Provides Comfort For Long Runs
High-quality shoes are made with the breathable mesh upper and durable cushioning which keeps you comfortable no matter how long the run is. You won’t have to worry about landing on bad terrain and hurting your feet or overheating inside the shoes. You can focus more on your run instead, having you reach your goals.
Prevent Foot Injury and/or Pain
The right running shoes offer the balance of both flexibility and stability. This keeps your feet in place and in proper positioning as you lift your feet, bounce, and take another step when running. Because of the added support according to your feet’s condition, it prevents any injury or any pain and swelling that may come from shoes that don’t give enough support.
Made For Most Trails and Weather
Many of us would run just about anywhere and regardless of the weather. I would run on treadmills, tracks, the road, even on tough mountain trails at times, even when it’s raining or near puddles. Good running shoes don’t only protect your feet from the wet ground but have the durable constriction to withstand wherever you use it on, adding to its durability and versatility.
How to Choose the Best Long Distance Running Shoes
Of course, you can only benefit from the running shoes if you choose a suitable one based on your individual needs. It isn’t just about getting the most expensive and popular brand, but to also invest in what you need and personally prefer. Here are the crucial factors t consider when choosing your long distance running shoes:
Sturdy and Durable Construction
The number one thing you should consider is the shoe’s construction and make. It should have the high-quality material that can withstand most, if not all, types of terrains, as well as the weatherproof properties that protect your feet (and the shoe’s durability) from mud, puddles, and rain. This will help keep it lasting and prevent any tears or rips no matter how long you run with it.
Breathability and Better Cushioning
Focus on your comfort as well, as you won’t be able to run long distances if your feet feel stuffy or tough. The right shoes offer proper cushioning to keep your feet comfortable when landing on rough terrain. It should also be breathable enough to keep your feet well-ventilated even during hot and sweaty runs.
Support Made For Your Feet
We all have different needs in terms of support, with some people requiring more arch support for flat feet, while others make do without. With that being said, look into what your feet type is and that you choose shoes with a balance of stability and flexibility to ensure that they are protected from any injury or pain.
Good Fit and Proper Size
You won’t be able to have the good support and stability for your feet if you don’t choose the right size. The running shoes should be accurate with sizing and that you select one that isn’t too loose or tight. I highly recommend that you look into shoes that come with conforming cushioning to fit your individual foot shape and size.
Reputable Brand and Nice Price
I mentioned that getting the most popular brand and expensive shoes won’t promise you great shoes, and that’s true. However, I still do recommend that you look at the brand because they stand by quality control and ensure to produce good shoes without having to spend so much. Brands like ASICS, Saucony, Nike, and many other reputable brands offer the well-constructed shoes that don’t exceed $200!
When choosing the right shoes, they don’t need to be pricey, but within a reasonable budget. Some can range between $100 to $150, even less than $100, so set a good price range according to what you can afford and start from there.
Tips on Long Distance Running and Shoe Care
Now that you’re familiar with getting the right shoes, how can you begin long distance running and stay successful with it? Follow these helpful tips on both long distance running and shoe care:
- Begin preparing both physically and mentally. It all begins with your head, so it’s best to start off with a gradual training plan to help condition both body and mind to become confident and stronger during the longest run you might have so far
- Continue to hydrate and giving your body the right nutrients to keep you fueled during the run. Avoid heavy meals right before a marathon, testing out how much and what kind of food your body needs to stay focused and strong all throughout. Drink sips of water during your run and consider fueling yourself mid-run if it’s over three hours long
- Pace yourself rather than give your all and sprint during the first few minutes. Long distance runs are more about the effort and not the speed, so avoid running too hard and overexerting to the point you can’t finish it!
- Clean your running shoes according to manufacturer’s instructions, brushing it dry and hand washing it rather than placing it in the dryer
- Avoid running on very wet/rough terrain if you can to prevent it from wearing out too easily. Consider alternating running shoes as well to let one pair rest, as this helps your running shoes last longer
If you want to learn more about having a successful long distance run, check out this helpful video:
Frequently Asked Questions: Long Distance Running Shoes
For those who want to learn more about long-distance running and the right shoes to go with it, check out these top five frequently asked questions:
Are there risks to long distance running?
Unfortunately, there ARE some precautions to take when long distance running. If you run for too long a time and push yourself over the limits, there are chances of injuries or bad inflammation after the run.
Swelling and inflammation are common after any exercise, but increased mileage may worsen it and make it continuous (which is actually pretty serious).
When do I know my shoes need replacement?
A running shoe can last for about 300 miles on average. Those with stronger construction and higher quality materials can last for over 500 miles. This depends on the manufacturer, so you can contact or refer to any guides that may be included with the shoes.
You’ll know it’s time to replace it not just by counting the miles, but if you already begin experiencing foot pain or see some major wear in or out of the shoe.
Can I use minimalist shoes or sandals?
Minimalist running is highly recommended as it promotes support as you run barefoot or have more feel of the ground. However, it’s not for everyone, especially for long distance runners who will be putting much pressure on their feet for long periods of time. The same goes for sandals, this time because it doesn’t provide enough support compared to running shoes.
What if I have flat feet or other conditions?
If you have flat feet or other conditions which cause pain or discomfort around the feet area, then it’s best to consult your doctor if you can go long distance running. When you get the OK signal, it’s best to choose a pair of shoes that fit well to your feet and the condition you might have. You can refer to my other guides on shoes dedicated to flat feet, overpronation, and the like.
When should I go long distance running?
Almost anyone can go long distance running, though it’s best that you’ve already had experience in running before doing so. With that being said, begin training and working your way up SLOWLY until you’re able to reach distances of up to over ten miles without stopping. I recommend long distance running for those who want to increase their stamina, join marathons, and improve their cardiovascular health and endurance.
Wrapping It Up
Long distance running requires preparation and the right attire for you to withstand any weather and terrain. It’s best to start with the right running shoes, which are built for durability and comfort to run for hours on end, may it be for marathons or training. That way, you get your money’s worth AND won’t have to stress over it breaking mid-run!
Of all the different long distance running shoes tested, the best one for men goes out to the Nike Revolution 4. What makes it the best isn’t just the fact it comes from Nike, but because of the excellent pads that ensure the customized fit according to your individual foot shape and size. So not only are the shoes lasting the entire run, but you stay comfortable and stable without it feeling too loose or tight.
As for the women’s shoes, I highly recommend the Brooks Ghost 11 for its attractive design and the lightweight construction. Your feet won’t feel heavy as you run for hours on end, adding to its comfort and speed no matter where you run. Furthermore, it has a smoother feel, promoting better and safer runs as you stay in better positioning.
I hope that this article on the best long distance running shoes helped you out! So don’t wait any longer and look into getting any of these shoes now. If you have any questions or want to share your tips and experiences on these running shoes, then comment below. Your thoughts are much appreciated!